7th grade football coach

Share tips, idea, health and fun idea for the kids of the NDL.
Toro
Reactions:

Re: 7th grade football coach

Post by Toro »

I've spent the last 12 years coaching youth football in fall and spring, and love it...I've gone as young as 9-10 and as old as 15-16, but the 11-12 age is often the most fun, I think...Congratulations!

I agree a handout to the parents, outlining what you expect from them, and the players, will help you greatly when little Jimmy's folks want to know why he isn't starting, etc. Set the ground rules early.

Since you're new to them and they are new to you, I'd suggest what I call "Fantasy Camp"...during conditioning or the first couple days of practice, let them try out for whatever position they dream of playing...being clear that afterward, you and the coaches still have the final say on starters, and the players need to put "we before me", and play where they are needed, even if it may not be what they dream of...

Once you do this, everybody gets a look, and no one can say they weren't given a shot...parents love this, the team bonds over the tryouts, and often, you can find a hidden gem...I had a lineman that had a great arm one year, and he became the backup qb...I had a 50 pound kid who was one of the biggest hitters you'd ever see...and these guys might have never gotten a look without being open minded. Also, you can give a kid something to work on, and he may grow into the role, as time progresses.

Also, give your staff defined roles...especially on gameday...this cuts down on confusion on the sideline, and lets everybody stay on task...

Be open to different schemes on offense and defense, and wait until you see the athletes in action before settling on one...
Some years you will be loaded, others not so much...

Everyone looks like they can play in shorts and a T shirt...contact is where you find the defense. I've had great plans for a kid, only to get derailed because he's contact shy...the USA Football heads up stuff has some good drills to help that.

Again congratulations...you get to do what many guys wish they could...make an impact on kids lives.
Email or PM is the FASTEST way to reach me.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Toro wrote:you get to do what many guys wish they could...make an impact on kids lives.

This is my #1 reason for wanting to be a coach.
And thanks for the input. A lot of good information.

As far as how big, many have asked, we are not sure. We had 40 kids sign up, as our varsity coach went to visit the 6th graders and asked them to sign up, but he also explained to me that signing up and then showing up are 2 completely different things.

Last year, the team only had like 20 kids, so we will see.
We can join and play with the 8th graders as 1 unit if need be, but I am hoping we get enough to field our own team.

And I found another site that has made a lot of the same suggestions you guys have, as far as having a meeting with the parents, etc.
I also talked to the varsity coach about building a mentoring program where the young kids can reach out to the varsity guys with questions.

And we plan on running the same offense and defense as varsity, so that it can become a feeder league and the kids will already know the offense/defense that varsity runs by the time they get there.
Not sure if that makes the most sense.

And last, I planned on doing exactly what you stated Toro. Let them have open try outs. Give them a week or so to try whatever position they want and then go from there.
I understand that at 12-13 years old, many kids don't know their potential.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
Toro
Reactions:

Post by Toro »

Great job getting with the varsity coaches, that's what I did, as most of my guys feed into the high school my son went to,
and it helps them be better prepared.

Over time, I have tried to stress the importance of giving back, and remembering where you came from, etc.

Every fall, I get some of my former players to be "grad assistants" and help with practice...it lets the younger ones see what they can aspire to, and the varsity guys know how I want it done, so it gets re-enforced double.

Just don't get discouraged...and be open minded...I've learned a lot more that what I thought I knew as a player.
When I first started as a line coach we were 2-14 for two years...since I have been the head coach, we've been 64-25 with no losing seasons...(not like my NDL record, LOL).
Email or PM is the FASTEST way to reach me.
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

And we plan on running the same offense and defense as varsity, so that it can become a feeder league and the kids will already know the offense/defense that varsity runs by the time they get there.
That really is a big deal. It would also be beneficial to find out what the high school runs that a majority of the kids will attend. Makes it tough if they go to multiple high schools, but if not that would help when they get there.
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

cougnix wrote:
That really is a big deal. It would also be beneficial to find out what the high school runs that a majority of the kids will attend. Makes it tough if they go to multiple high schools, but if not that would help when they get there.
This is exactly what I was going to recommend.

The high school offense here is a mix of spread/run-n-shoot that is based out what looks like a flexbone (think Warren Moon Oilers). The peewee teams (3rd-6th) run the wishbone, assigning A/B to the FB and 2 HBs. When they do it, they explain that it's "like the HS" team, but with the HBs in a different formation. When the kids go to 7th/8th, they go to the flexbone and the transition is easy because they introduce short and long motion, explaining how long motion puts them back into the same basic spot as the wishbone. At this time, they introduce trips packages from motion. All of this sets the stage for the full package at the HS level.
PSN: ReignOnU
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

I love the idea of one day coaching, but for a control freak like myself I could also see it being a miserable experience
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Weasel wrote:I love the idea of one day coaching, but for a control freak like myself I could also see it being a miserable experience
You wanna be a control freak, you join OOTP!!!
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Weasel wrote:I love the idea of one day coaching, but for a control freak like myself I could also see it being a miserable experience
I couldn't deal with the likes of the Riccios who go rogue and try to impress with funky mechanics and show off for the ladies by not following my Tom Emansky training.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

The visual of Dave crow hopping from the mound still cracks me up
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

shel311 wrote:
You wanna be a control freak, you join OOTP!!!
That's a good point. When I eventually get back to the point where I actually have time to coach I'll probably just fill it with video games. I could go for a nice pizza/beer/gaming Saturday night right about now

Return to “Kids Corner”