Madden 16 Initial Thoughts and Discussion

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Re: Madden 16 Initial Thoughts and Discussion

Post by Wasted Memory »

Agreeing with tfan and George here. South Korea was cool. Not to mention if you have time run out to the DMZ area. Never been big with taking the PS anything with me when I travel though.
texasfan4444
Reactions:

Post by texasfan4444 »

Really liking this game right now. The ratings seem to mean a bit more meaningful. When you have a pocket passer and you try to roll out he becomes inaccurate. When you have a speed back and you try to plow through a Lb you are going to end up on your back , fumbling , or injured.
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

So pretty much the same as last years game, gotcha...
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
texasfan4444
Reactions:

Post by texasfan4444 »

cougnix wrote:So pretty much the same as last years game, gotcha...
Yes Captain Killjoy but seems more accurate. :roll:

I also like the new game modes more than last season.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

That new draft mode was too awesome for me to pass up... I picked up the game after work last night and played it from 9p-3a. (first time I've done that in awhile!)

This is a far cry from the last football game that I played (NCAA!). I played 2 games vs the computer on what had to be super easy mode. I played the rest of the night in online H2H.

Here are my general thoughts from 1 night:
- Graphics, incredible
- Visual design... it's over the top and it's trying so hard to be flashy and cool. The information that you need seems to get lost in the shuffle and because the menus are just too much.
- Pre-snap options/information... an insane amount... maybe even too much. Was overwhelming at first.
- Physics... realistic, but I'd argue that's kind of a bad thing, as I pulled my defender out of position a little too easily. Could have just been gaming rust.
- Special catch types and pass types... interesting. I did the tutorial, then I proceeded to go back to NCAA habits and use bullets, touch, 1-2 lobs for passes and either didn't use a catch type or used the triangle aggressive catch every time.
- Aggressive catch is OP, at least for online. I know it's Madden online, so I taper my expectations here, but every team seems to run a 6'4 WR and throw 50/50 balls with a high frequency.
- 50/50 balls... they are 80/20.
- Passing... way way way too easy. Take the easiest version of NCAA as comparison, this is easier.
- Draft Champions... might be kind of predictable down the stretch, but has a lot of replayablity.
- MUT... being a HUGE FUT fan.. MUT is a major disappointment. Market is annoying to search with certain parameters and there are far too many untradeables. The "sets" concept doesn't impress me.
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Draft Champions Tips:
- Pay very close attention to the defensive playbook that your coach has. The "run stopper," "man coverage," etc stuff doesn't seem to matter much. But you can screw yourself in the draft if you run a 3-4 vs 4-3 and don't remember it. (There's no way that I've seen to check after you selected it!)
- Every team you're going to play has someone like Calvin Johnson, Kelvin Benjamin or Mike Evans... if not 2 of them. Be ready.
- In the first few rounds, go slow and take your time comparing your selections to the rest of your team. You might find that you have a few low 70s rated guys that acceptable to have as starters. Make a note of this, because it gives you the chance to pass on certain guys and strengthen weaker positions.
- Examples of said players QB Jimmy Garrapolo, RB Christine Michael, WR Dorial-Green Beckham... among others.
- Legends... don't expect a consistent turnout in terms of position... but RB is probably the most common thing that I see there if you want to try to hold out for it.
- Make sure you get 2 CBs, if not 3. You're going to face passing attacks. You may only see 2-3 CBs in your entire draft, so if you find any CB that is a good upgrade, you should probably take it. Worst case scenario you take an 80 rated CB, then Sherman pops up and you take him, then Sean Smith pops up and you take him, moving the 80 rated CB to the nickel. You're going to run nickel and dime... a lot.
- TEs are monsters... any TE with a reasonable (80+) amount of speed is nearly uncoverable. I had Shannon Sharpe legend for a series, with tiny WRs... Sharpe was unbelievably good.
- RBs... whatever. It really seems like any decent RB is fine and Christine Michael is excellent if you get him in the base allocation.
- Don't skimp on your Dline and Oline, you'll see a noticeable difference here.
texasfan4444
Reactions:

Post by texasfan4444 »

Nice write up. added a few of my thoughts below....
ReignOnU wrote:Draft Champions Tips:
- Pay very close attention to the defensive playbook that your coach has. The "run stopper," "man coverage," etc stuff doesn't seem to matter much. But you can screw yourself in the draft if you run a 3-4 vs 4-3 and don't remember it. (There's no way that I've seen to check after you selected it!) - correct - a quick google search mid draft got me back on track though. :D

- Every team you're going to play has someone like Calvin Johnson, Kelvin Benjamin or Mike Evans... if not 2 of them. Be ready.

- In the first few rounds, go slow and take your time comparing your selections to the rest of your team. You might find that you have a few low 70s rated guys that acceptable to have as starters. Make a note of this, because it gives you the chance to pass on certain guys and strengthen weaker positions.

- Examples of said players QB Jimmy Garrapolo, RB Christine Michael, WR Dorial-Green Beckham... among others.

- Legends... don't expect a consistent turnout in terms of position... but RB is probably the most common thing that I see there if you want to try to hold out for it. - OL, DB, RB has been my 3 options every time.

- Make sure you get 2 CBs, if not 3. You're going to face passing attacks. You may only see 2-3 CBs in your entire draft, so if you find any CB that is a good upgrade, you should probably take it. Worst case scenario you take an 80 rated CB, then Sherman pops up and you take him, then Sean Smith pops up and you take him, moving the 80 rated CB to the nickel. You're going to run nickel and dime... a lot.

- TEs are monsters... any TE with a reasonable (80+) amount of speed is nearly uncoverable. I had Shannon Sharpe legend for a series, with tiny WRs... Sharpe was unbelievably good. - played vs Gronk a few times. try covering him...its nearly impossible.

- RBs... whatever. It really seems like any decent RB is fine and Christine Michael is excellent if you get him in the base allocation.
- Don't skimp on your Dline and Oline, you'll see a noticeable difference here. - As people get comfortable with Blitz packages i see OL being a major need. i've even looked to make one side of the OL PB heavy one RB heavy and roll or run in the appropriate direction. -
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

GeorgesGoons wrote:
texasfan4444 wrote:
Seeitsaveit13 wrote:
ReignOnU wrote:

..and yes... this is in FIFA 16.

I'll be divorced by 2016.
LOL. I wish I could take my ps4 to Korea. I'd play that every damn night
Why cant you? You can do the draft stuff and play offline. You may be able to temporarily change your region and play online.

Id probably out exploring instead but technically you could if you were going to be there long enough.
I didn't have to change my region when I was out there to play online. But there is enough stuff to do there you might never unbox the PS4. Go to some of the temples and monuments. Definitely go to the shopping areas, not the malls, but the ones on the side of the road where you can haggle down prices. Have Won and American cash with you.
I'm not going to have time for that type of stuff. Most days will be at the course til like 6 or 7, so Ps4 in the room would be key. I just don't want to deal with customs and travelling it. It's not so much a "can't" as a "don't want to have to"
ImageImageImageImage
I_S33M_THAB33T_U
Reactions:

Post by I_S33M_THAB33T_U »

Thoughts

This game is by far the best football game EA has made in years. Some things are the same as last year, But they have changed the physics a lot and the game plays really different. Penalties are actually called without having to make all the sliders 100. I have found a decent settings for the sliders that makes it feel real nice.

The pass game is based all on the type of throw you make. You can't bullet everything anymore, And the type of catch that you try also hinders if you make the catch or not. The aggressive catch with big time receivers seems a little over powering but isn't terrible. I have seen a lot of great plays both ways for offense and defense alike.

The Draft Championships is a awesome add. Really enjoying this, I have done around 6 so far, And have got some nice MUT rewards.

MUT - Is the same format as last year, Other then they took out a lot of the stupid collections that were annoying.

With that said at this point i give this game a 8/10.

I am also going to be doing a Draft champions draft in about 5-10 mins, I will be broadcasting if anyone who hasn't seen this or wants a idea of what it is and how it works

http://www.twitch.tv/i_s33m_thab33t_u
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

I think football games have just passed me by. Everything about it seems awesome, but I'm just not interested playing an actual game.

Plus I suck, can't keep up with all pro level.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

I_S33M_THAB33T_U wrote:Thoughts

This game is by far the best football game EA has made in years. Some things are the same as last year, But they have changed the physics a lot and the game plays really different. Penalties are actually called without having to make all the sliders 100. I have found a decent settings for the sliders that makes it feel real nice.

The pass game is based all on the type of throw you make. You can't bullet everything anymore, And the type of catch that you try also hinders if you make the catch or not. The aggressive catch with big time receivers seems a little over powering but isn't terrible. I have seen a lot of great plays both ways for offense and defense alike.

The Draft Championships is a awesome add. Really enjoying this, I have done around 6 so far, And have got some nice MUT rewards.

MUT - Is the same format as last year, Other then they took out a lot of the stupid collections that were annoying.

I am also going to be doing a Draft champions draft in about 5-10 mins, I will be broadcasting if anyone who hasn't seen this or wants a idea of what it is and how it works

Can you share the sliders you have that make it feel real nice?

I have not had time to play it yet, but hoping either tonight or tomorrow night to get into it.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
texasfan4444
Reactions:

Post by texasfan4444 »

So far i've played only the default and average a penalty or two per game. usually its a false start here or an encroachment there. If you try to over use the hard count and have a weak link in the OL, he is going to eventually jump.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

More thoughts on Draft Champions game play (online)...

- I'm convinced that I don't have to draft a HB if I don't want to. It's a complete luxury. Very little difference in my offense (pass heavy).
- 2 great TEs is a guaranteed 2-3 wins... and has won me big pack bonus. Everyone stocks up on CBs and usually only grabs 1 safety, rarely both. 2 TEs gives a great advantage in the passing game and allows for a solid boost to the running game as well.
- Any QB above 80 is ok. I've had Legend R. Cunningham, C. Newton, M. Ryan, Legend John Elway, Bob Griffin, and Eli Manning, among others... I've had just as much success in the pocket with Matt Ryan as I've had with anyone else.
- Defensively, I'm all over the place. Man coverage gets slaughtered with slants... it's not even close. Zone gets picked apart too easily with Bullet passes and the lack of a pass rush. Obviously I'm still rusty so my User safety skills are questionable. I haven't been toasted yet, but I'm also not making the big plays and just missing INTs/knockdowns. The pass rush feels non-existent in any 3 man front.
- I wish I could adjust the depth chart by defensive formation prior to the game. I always draft an awesome DT and then I have to race to sub them in to 4-5 different formations in the game menus, during every game.
- Kick Return Right or Left... 45 degree angle to the sideline and shoot up it... enjoy you 30 yard returns and occasional TDs. :-)
- Passing is waaaaaay too easy. I'm throwing for 250+ every game. I know I'm not 'that' good.
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

I_S33M_THAB33T_U wrote:Thoughts

Damnit. You're making me want to get it... I wasn't planning on it, but now you're making me want to get it.
ImageImageImageImage
OracleHCR
Reactions:

Post by OracleHCR »

texasfan4444 wrote:So far i've played only the default and average a penalty or two per game. usually its a false start here or an encroachment there. If you try to over use the hard count and have a weak link in the OL, he is going to eventually jump.
I actually had a defensive holding call in a game last night. With Tampa's o-line I get at least two offensive holding calls a game. They're terrible.
Whittness10
Reactions:

Post by Whittness10 »

OracleHCR wrote:
texasfan4444 wrote:So far i've played only the default and average a penalty or two per game. usually its a false start here or an encroachment there. If you try to over use the hard count and have a weak link in the OL, he is going to eventually jump.
I actually had a defensive holding call in a game last night. With Tampa's o-line I get at least two offensive holding calls a game. They're terrible.
I've had a holding call against me and the CPU, and an illegal block in the back on one play, that's it.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

I like the idea of penalties happening now and again, just don't make it all the time.
They are part of the game though and should happen, especially if you have a lower rated line.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
I_S33M_THAB33T_U
Reactions:

Post by I_S33M_THAB33T_U »

The_Niddler wrote:I like the idea of penalties happening now and again, just don't make it all the time.
They are part of the game though and should happen, especially if you have a lower rated line.
The base sliders are ok, You will see a few more calls then before.

My OCF Settings

8 min q
All Madden
CPU/User settings left alone at this moment
Holding - 53
False Start - 53
Def holding - 55
Off PI - On
Def PI - 55
Illegal block in back - 50(This 1 was origanly set at 55 was called almost every other play, I turned it down by 1 each time and still got a ton, So back to 50 and it happens 1 or 2 times a game now)
Face Mask - 53
Roughing the passer - 51(Another stupid 1, If you put it over 51 its gets called when a player barely nudges the QB as they fall to ground like they got rocked) But at 51 this does get called and not a ton.
All others - 53

This seems to be the best mix of them all happening when they should.

A tip I use to sort them out was this.

I set them all to 60 setup a CPU vs CPU game ad then watched what happened and what got called a lot and what not. And state adjusting from there. To get to where I am at. If you play less min quarters you may want to try this method out to figure best numbers for yourself.

@ Seeit - The Draft Champions is awesome, Takes about 10 minutes to draft, If you play CPU 1 you can play all 3 games(that is if you win and move on) in a hour. And then you earn MUT rewards. Quarter length is 3 mins. The final game is the hard 1, They have stacked teams and throw everything at you, Also the skill level goes up each round. Round 1 - Rookie, Roud 2 - Pro and Final is All -Pro
Whittness10
Reactions:

Post by Whittness10 »

Ryan, do you use accelerated clock with your settings. I've used this with 8 min quarters and it seems like the first quarter flies by with a drive for each team, same with the third quarter. Was just wondering if you had messed with that or not.

I started a franchise with the Browns, and lost my first game to the Jets. I was on All-Pro, no slider adjustments. I found running to be way easier than passing. I tried throwing some deep balls to Josh Gordon using the aggressive catch, and I only caught one of them. The rest were either broken up or intercepted. I did notice after the game simulated preseason, that my starting QB was Manziel and that McCown was let go. I immediately hit the trade block and traded Manziel away for Ryan Nassib. That could be why I struggled with the passing game. And I'm the Browns... All likely factors. Defensively, I had 0 sacks, and only managed to stop them twice the whole game.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

I've played 1 half on all pro with the Saints against the Cardinals and Ingram and Spiller have 10 carries for negative yards. A LB comes in untouched every play. Gotta learn how to do some pre play stuff I guess.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”