Disney

Going on a trip? Looking for some travel advice or places to visit? This is your place.
Downing11
Reactions:

Disney

Post by Downing11 »

Starting to think about planning a trip for the family down to Disney. Any tips or advice?

The plan is to fly down on 11/23 and fly back on Turkey Day. What kind of weather am I looking at in late November in Orlando?

I'm looking at the Buena Vista Palace in the Walt Disney World Resort. I can get 5 nights there plus airfare for just south of $1,500 through Jet Blue. Was also looking at 4 day passes for 2 adults and 2 children which is just over $1,000, so all in about $2,500 which I didn't think was too bad. All of this was right through the Jet Blue website flying from Worcester, MA which will start a daily non stop to Orlando in the start of November. I don't want to rent a car so transportation to and from the parks is a must.

Can I get cheaper park tickets there? Anyone done this recently? Any help would be much appreciated!
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Disney

Post by Cnasty »

Great weather during that time but honestly Orlando weather is weird and never know. We go from 30 degrees to 80 in 4 hour time spans. You should be safe but hard to tell.

Thats actually a really goodpricefor everything. If you plan to stay near the site, you won't need a car. They have buses and transportation to all resorts that are on Disney property. They can also take you to downtown Disney and all restaurants in the campus.

You can get cheaper tickets but have to attend time share presentations and all of that crap.

Shel and I live here and we both have season passes for our families and go a ton so let us know if you need specifics or any other questions.
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

I know it is probably busy there year round but am I correct in thinking it shouldn't be too bad that time of year?
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Downing11 wrote:I know it is probably busy there year round but am I correct in thinking it shouldn't be too bad that time of year?
It'll be pretty busy thanksgiving week.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Yea because of a couple factors.

Weather is usually awesome that time of year and long weekends are usually packed such as Black Friday,Labor Day,stuff like that.

Best time to go is like a random Tuesday on a non-holiday week but I know that may be tough considering the trip and all.
Nole4real
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Nole4real »

if u dont get a package deal, Orlando is EXCELLENT using Hotwire.com

Easily get 4 star resorts for less than $100 per night

use betterbidding.com with hotwire to identify the resort before you book

just fyi
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Does Hotwire do Disney resorts though?
I know most hotels do shuttle but so much more convenient being on the properties if you can for a good price.

Good point thought as TONS of hotels in Orlando if thats an option.
Nole4real
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Nole4real »

Cnasty wrote:Does Hotwire do Disney resorts though?
I know most hotels do shuttle but so much more convenient being on the properties if you can for a good price.

Good point thought as TONS of hotels in Orlando if thats an option.
not disney resorts but its all the same area and they all provide shuttles

buena vista is in downtown disney area, its not like the swan or the tiki place or anywhere the monorail goes through

imo the "disney" resorts are the ones where the monorails go through, if it doesnt, you're better off getting a resort off hotwire. all the accomadations SUCK at disney "resorts". small pools and etc. they are designed to motivate the tourists to go to the parks and spend money

the competing resorts have lazy rivers and try to make it as fun as possible to motivate their guests to stay there

i'll never stay at a "disney" resort again and havent since around 2003-04
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

Tip: have a couple days to recover when you get home.

You are going to walk more than you can imagine. You will be ready to go home by day 3. :lol:
PSN & 360: AUTiger730
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

The Thanksgiving trip never came together and the new plan is this October. I was thinking or arriving the Saturday before Columbus Day which is 10/11/14. Is that a good time to go? I know it is always busy there but the thought process was it being during school and the kids have Columbus day off so that will at least cut out one day of school they won't be missing.
uf83198
Reactions:

Post by uf83198 »

Nole4real wrote:if u dont get a package deal, Orlando is EXCELLENT using Hotwire.com

Easily get 4 star resorts for less than $100 per night

use betterbidding.com with hotwire to identify the resort before you book

just fyi
Nole, could you explain a little bit how to use betterbidding.com to identify the hotel on Hotwire, or send me a pM?

Ive been trying to book a hotel, went to betterbidding, but having trouble figuring out how to get it to reveal the hotel. Thx.
S23: WKU 8-5 - Lil Caesars Bowl Champs
S24-25: Nebraska 5-7, 9-4 - Gator Bowl Champs
S26: TCU 8-5
S27: Northern Illinois 13-1 - MAC Champs - Fiesta Bowl Champs
S28: Florida 10-4 - SEC East Champs - Capital One Bowl Champs
PSN: uf83198
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

I went to Orbitz and Hotwire and they were about that same. I picked the hotel I wanted, conferred with Shel which I am hoping was a good thing ;) , and they went to the hotel's site directly and it was even cheaper. They had some deal going on and I ended up get in at $79 a night or so.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Just stayed at the Art of Animation this resort on a last second passholder/florida resident discount thing. We booked the Cars suite which had a separate bedroom and living room with a small kitchen.

I have stayed at the adult resorts like the Wilderness Lodge and Polynesian and others but this is one of the newer ones and gets my approval for anyone with kids from like 2-10ish. We had a blast with our 2 year old as he went nuts over the room, HUGE pool that had the no depth entry perfect for little ones, and also a huge water playground with fountains for them. The resort grounds are huge and Disney did this one right with all the different cars and characters on the ground. Every detail was awesome.

I am not a huge Disney fan but love seeing the little ones reaction and this resort does it right at every step of the way for the little ones and we actually had a blast as well on these grounds.

Totally recommended.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Some pics of the grounds and room:
Spoiler!
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

The countdown is on for the Downing family arrival in Orlando. We're staying at the All Star Movie Resort and fly in on October 11th. We just told our girls the other night and they went ape shit. Can't wait to see their reaction once we actually get there. We are booked pretty tight as far as itinerary, but if any Orlando-er is in the vicinity the night of 10/11, I'd love to get together for a beer or two.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Downing11 wrote:The countdown is on for the Downing family arrival in Orlando. We're staying at the All Star Movie Resort and fly in on October 11th. We just told our girls the other night and they went ape shit. Can't wait to see their reaction once we actually get there. We are booked pretty tight as far as itinerary, but if any Orlando-er is in the vicinity the night of 10/11, I'd love to get together for a beer or two.
Nice!

Post a reminder as it gets closer.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

shel311 wrote: Post a reminder as it gets closer.
This.

I am usually the most reliable/available NDLer in terms of availability.

Not sure what that says about me though. :lol:
Wasted Memory
Reactions:

Post by Wasted Memory »

Cnasty wrote:
This.

I'm going to fly down sometime just so we can work out a trade face to face....
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

One day!! :)
Downing11
Reactions:

Post by Downing11 »

Cnasty wrote:
This.

If all goes to plan, we land at 1:41 this Saturday so I'm assuming we'll be at the hotel and settled in by 3 to 3:30ish? I'm sure we'll hit the pool, grab some food, so I should be available early evening if either of you/both are around. We are taking a shuttle to the hotel, All Star Movies, so I won't have any transporation. I guess, let me know if either of you are around and we can take it from there.

Return to “Travel”