NBA Thread

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: NBA Thread

Post by shel311 »

GeorgesGoons wrote:
wdoupis wrote:That’s more then most would do, can’t see Goodell taking that approach.

Especially if the Saints are involved...Right Shel?
Goodell's fault!
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Not sure if there's more to the story, but Philly played a team from China last night in Philly and some dudes with "Free Hong Kong" posters were kicked out of the arena.

There's also a GoFundMe that raised $40k to hand out Free Hong Kong shirts outside Staples Center on Opening Night.

Get the popcorn ready, this is getting good!
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

my .02

1) always do whats right, regardless of consequences

2) understand your priority tiers. if Biz> morals then make the biz decision. if family is bigger than morals then make the family decision, if your values are #1 then always take the higher stance on moral issues. know your tiers before hand so when situations arise you know if you should hit the enter button on that tweet and how much you'll regret it in the future. if you tiers are aligned with your actions you probably can live with the results at the end of the day regardless of the negative impacts

3) you don't always have to be involved or speak on every topic. it doesn't make you a bad person for sitting out a debate that could negatively impact you. its so absurd to think these guys should be speaking out about every moral/social issue there is. there are literally millions of things happening daily that we could be outraged about. if we expect everyone with a voice to speak up on every one of them that the internet decides to make the topic of the day we'd never get anything done.

4) if you sleep with snakes, expect to be bitten. China is what it is, NBA knows the risks.
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

DRiccio21 wrote:3) you don't always have to be involved or speak on every topic. it doesn't make you a bad person for sitting out a debate that could negatively impact you. its so absurd to think these guys should be speaking out about every moral/social issue there is. there are literally millions of things happening daily that we could be outraged about. if we expect everyone with a voice to speak up on every one of them that the internet decides to make the topic of the day we'd never get anything done.
YESSSSSSSS
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

DRiccio21 wrote:3) you don't always have to be involved or speak on every topic. it doesn't make you a bad person for sitting out a debate that could negatively impact you. its so absurd to think these guys should be speaking out about every moral/social issue there is. there are literally millions of things happening daily that we could be outraged about. if we expect everyone with a voice to speak up on every one of them that the internet decides to make the topic of the day we'd never get anything done.
1. This directly affects the NBA, it's not like some random thing happening in some random country.

2. I actually agree with you, which is why I'm not here yelling that Luke Walton needs to comment on this. But a guy like Steve Kerr has set the precedent and spoken a lot about social justice issues. And he so many quotes out there talking about the importance of speaking up, blah blah blah. But now he's silent? Of course he will and should get heat for not speaking up for freedom when he set the precedent by always talking about the need to speak up for freedom. I'd have more respect for him if he came out yesterday and said China is worth $133mil a year to my organization, it's in my organization's best interest that I don't comment, then what he actually said was to just lie and tell us he doesn't have enough info to comment.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

DRiccio21 wrote:my .02

1) always do whats right, regardless of consequences

2) understand your priority tiers. if Biz> morals then make the biz decision. if family is bigger than morals then make the family decision, if your values are #1 then always take the higher stance on moral issues. know your tiers before hand so when situations arise you know if you should hit the enter button on that tweet and how much you'll regret it in the future. if you tiers are aligned with your actions you probably can live with the results at the end of the day regardless of the negative impacts

3) you don't always have to be involved or speak on every topic. it doesn't make you a bad person for sitting out a debate that could negatively impact you. its so absurd to think these guys should be speaking out about every moral/social issue there is. there are literally millions of things happening daily that we could be outraged about. if we expect everyone with a voice to speak up on every one of them that the internet decides to make the topic of the day we'd never get anything done.

4) if you sleep with snakes, expect to be bitten. China is what it is, NBA knows the risks.

Agree with all of them... except on 3, you may not be a bad person, but you're certainly a hypocrite. You can't speak out about others and then go silent, or worse, when it's in your backyard. No one is expecting them to weigh in on the Twitter topic of the day, but there's certainly an expectation when they've been historically boastful and now they are at the center of the injustice.
PSN: ReignOnU
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

as long as you can feel confident on understanding and quantifying the varying degrees of importance on social matters around the globe then i'll take your word for it.

to call China/Hong Kong conflict 'in their back yard' is a bit much. is working conditions at Nike factories 'in their back yard'?

i'm upset at Kerr and other players for not speaking on continued conflicts in places like Haiti and Venezuela along with issues on climate change and the environmental issues created by some of their team sponsors they proudly wear on their chests. I'd also prefer they only ate eggs from cage free chickens during team breakfasts. I'd also like to hear some of the Celtics speak out about the enormous outbreak of Lyme disease in the New England area along with the dangers of mosquito's not only carrying EEE in New England but the countless other diseases they carry in Africa.

damn hypocrites.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

how about the amount of car accidents that occur following games due to drinking and driving. i'd like to hear a few of them speak out about banning beer and other alcoholic beverages at NBA functions.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

how about the pay inequalities of WNBA and NBA players... can we get them to be sure to speak on that daily as well. a few times a year isn't enough
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

100% agree with Riccio. This is nowhere near “in their backyard” just because it involves business interests of the NBA. It is such a complex issue that quite frankly none of us could really understand what it means to China and the people in Hong Kong. To say this is the same as speaking out about police brutality against minorities or gun issues that happen in our country is insane.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

ok, i'm done.

we're fucking human. enough judging, we're all fucking morons and we all fuck up all the time.

judging a person on their actions is bad enough.... judging a person on what we perceive their actions SHOULD be is why we have twitter mob mentalities
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

and for the record... i don't even disagree with you guys

i think his response fell a little flat... but i also realize he doesn't owe me the response i think he should present
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

DRiccio21 wrote:how about the amount of car accidents that occur following games due to drinking and driving. i'd like to hear a few of them speak out about banning beer and other alcoholic beverages at NBA functions.
You're reaching at this point.

As long as we can agree that Kerr is deciding not to speak here because his team gets $133mil a year from China and not for the reasons he claimed, we're mostly in agreement.

I doubt anyone really believes Kerr isn't speaking because he's just totally not in the know with what's going on there.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

wdoupis wrote:This is nowhere near “in their backyard”
:lol:
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

DRiccio21 wrote:judging a person on what we perceive their actions SHOULD be
Let's make sure this is understood correctly, it's what it should be based on what Kerr has said, not me.

I'm not out here blasting Luke Walton for not having a take. But when you're on record many times saying we have to speak out against social injustice, then go silent on a very big and entirely relevant issue, I'm not sure how we're even debating that it's not hypocritical when it seems fairly obvious why he's not speaking out here.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

shel311 wrote:
DRiccio21 wrote:how about the amount of car accidents that occur following games due to drinking and driving. i'd like to hear a few of them speak out about banning beer and other alcoholic beverages at NBA functions.
You're reaching at this point.

As long as we can agree that Kerr is deciding not to speak here because his team gets $133mil a year from China and not for the reasons he claimed, we're mostly in agreement.

I doubt anyone really believes Kerr isn't speaking because he's just totally not in the know with what's going on there.
i agree with you.

and of course i was reaching, that was the point. the point was that you can reach on any topics you wish to. and depending on your tiers of things that matter to you then you can make a legit case that others should be speaking on it. like when players leave to go do religious commitments and stuff like that, for some its crazy but for them its everything. if i lost a family member due to drinking and driving i'd care a lot more about drinking and driving than i do my financial situation, etc.
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

one thing i would hope that comes out of this is that we, as a society, see this type of craziness that occurs other places and take a step back and realize how lucky we are to have our freedoms and our ability to speak on things and the dangers of things that could potentially change that. we live in a place where our decisions have a direct influence on the path of our lives, some places you can make every good decision and none of it matters.

we are the anomaly and we bitch about stuff all the time with very little context of how other places have to live/act
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Soooooo, who takes home the ring this year?
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Cnasty wrote:Soooooo, who takes home the ring this year?
Bulls
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

wdoupis wrote:
Cnasty wrote:Soooooo, who takes home the ring this year?
Bulls
Sneaky 8 seed contender!

Return to “Off Topic Forum”