DISCONNECT!!!!

All NDL or video game football related conversations go here.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Re: DISCONNECT!!!!

Post by The_Niddler »

Shel, stop all of this going back and forth and guessing between everyone.

Get home, post the make and model and let me google it to see if there are any special settings that need to be done.

Honestly, where I would start is reset the modem/router back to factory specs.
Hard wire your PS3 and set it to automatically receive everything for your internet settings from your router/modem combo.

Who knows if a setting you had from a previous setup messed something up.
Start from scratch.

Reset the modem/router and ps3 settings.

Then plug it in and see what happens.

And the request to move the modem/router to another location...really? What will that achieve?
I am not trying to get into a battle here, but some of you are suggesting things that will have no bearing on the outcome.

If 1 game works, then it is not the location of the router/modem and leads me to believe that the modem/router is fine and not a hardware issue.
If his PC works, then it is not any cables feeding his modem/router.

It could be a setting in the modem/router or the PS3.

So again, I suggest, you reset those 2 devices.
Plug in your PS3 and see what happens.

You may have done port forwarding or DMZ'ing when it was not necessary with the new modem/router.

Ever since I bought an Apple router, never had to do anything. Plugged in my ps3 and has worked great since day 1.
I am not trying to talk up Apple, I am simply saying that some modems/routers do not need to have port forwarding or DMZ setup for your ps3 to work right.
Some don't need anything, some need everything setup.

Reset and let's start fresh.

Get me the make and model and let me look some stuff up.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Yes, I am triple posting, deal with it. :D

brwnbear wrote:
shel311 wrote:
ajalves wrote:far as OOTP, i would guess there is no way you should be downloading while on the PS3. I could see that causing a drop
I'm not saying if I'm doing both at the same time.

I just mean, if my connection is prone to drop every 15 minutes or so(not PS3, just in general), then it certainly would have happened at some point when doing an OOTP update, but that's never happened. My updates go off without a hitch.
3 things I would try....

1. Move the modem/router to another location in the house. Try a few different spots. Just to test if it may be a problem with the line you are connected too. (this will test the lines inside your house)
2. Take your PS3 to Corey or Dave's house. Let them play on it for a weekend to see if they have any issues. (this will test to see if you have an issue with the PS3)
3. Tell Roadrunner that you need a new modem/router as it is not working. (this will test your router/modem)

This is the only way you are going to be able to isolate the problem. If neither of the three are the problem, then you probably have an issue with the provider or the lines leading to your house. The only way to resolve is to find another internet provider.
1. Moving the modem/router will have no bearing on the outcome. If 1 game works, then it is not hardware or wiring.
It could be a setting within the hardware's software though.
2. Shel already stated that he has tried more than 1 PS3 and he still had the issues.
3. If his pc works fine and he has a game like FIFA that works fine, the modem/router is going to test fine on a test that RoadRunner will run against it.

If the lines to his house were an issue, every device would experience the issue, not just a PS3. Same thing if it was the provider.
Or his PS3 would see it all the time and not just with certain games.

Again, Shel, let's start back at step 1.

Reset your modem/router to factory specs. So it wipes out any DMZ, port forwarding, any settings that you messed with since you got it from your ISP.
Reset your PS3 so that it will automatically accept or setup it's internet connection and will get the settings automatically from your modem/router.

Get me the model number and let's go from there.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

ReignOnU wrote:How funny would it be if shel has an affinity for hot pockets and likes to fire one up at the start of every game... only to find out that his desire for the lava filled crust has ruined his last year of gaming? Now that's a cool story bro!
Man, that's almost on point. I love Hot Pockets, probably eat about 3 or 4 of em a week :lol:

But, I only ever grab a drink before a game, never food. Or, I won't say never, but rarely lol.

Good call though, that's hilarious.
UCWeiser
Reactions:

Post by UCWeiser »

The_Niddler wrote:I was going to go there Shift, once we need to, but baby steps to try and resolve this.

I have a modem from ATT Uverse that has the router built in it, they do something that passes the IP to my own router.
I forget what it is called now, but different than just turning off DHCP in the router settings.

And we can do that on Shel's depending on what make/model it is.

Shel, what is the make and model of your modem/router? When you get home, post that so I can see it and google it to see the settings and everything.

You won't be able to try what I posted earlier if it is an all in one device.
But we can explore turning off DHCP and using a separate router. If you have one or you can borrow one from a friend/neighbor to try.

Or go by a cheaper Linksys router. Can always return it once we are done testing things.

But get me the make and model number and let's go from there.
I can't remember if we tried to bridge my router or not when we tried last version. Maybe work with me on this?
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Niddler, what's your normal availability, say, after 8:30pm ish est time? :lol:

No rush, and the steps you gave me are simple enough, so maybe I don't need you to walk me through anything at this time, but if I need some assistance one evening, I may be contacting you . :)
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

All this to play some play station. That's commitment fellas!!!!
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Middle, modem type:

Ubee...DVW3200
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

Cnasty wrote:All this to play some play station. That's commitment fellas!!!!
where do they find the time!!!!
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

shel311 wrote:Niddler, what's your normal availability, say, after 8:30pm ish est time? :lol:

No rush, and the steps you gave me are simple enough, so maybe I don't need you to walk me through anything at this time, but if I need some assistance one evening, I may be contacting you . :)

Just pay for the plane ticket down and put me up for a few days and we will have it fixed. :D

I sent you my cell, I usually get home by 5 PM, today I have to take the dogs to the vet, so should be home around 5:30 ish.

DRiccio21 wrote:
Cnasty wrote:All this to play some play station. That's commitment fellas!!!!
where do they find the time!!!!

I am busy as shit at work during the day, but I do software stress/performance testing and I can find time while a test is running for an hour.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

UCWeiser wrote:
The_Niddler wrote:I was going to go there Shift, once we need to, but baby steps to try and resolve this.

I have a modem from ATT Uverse that has the router built in it, they do something that passes the IP to my own router.
I forget what it is called now, but different than just turning off DHCP in the router settings.

Shel, what is the make and model of your modem/router? When you get home, post that so I can see it and google it to see the settings and everything.

But we can explore turning off DHCP and using a separate router. If you have one or you can borrow one from a friend/neighbor to try.

Or go by a cheaper Linksys router. Can always return it once we are done testing things.

I can't remember if we tried to bridge my router or not when we tried last version. Maybe work with me on this?

Are you still having issues?
UCWeiser
Reactions:

Post by UCWeiser »

The_Niddler wrote:
UCWeiser wrote:

Are you still having issues?
Yup. I played Buckeye last night and we got disconnected somewhere in the 1st half. That has been the only person I have tried to play as it has been the only chance I have had.
kdog36
Reactions:

Post by kdog36 »

the beauty of the NDL
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

shel311 wrote:
trendon wrote:1. Is it cable, DSL, or fiber optics? Cable

2. Do the disconnections happen when you are directly connected to the modem? Yes, direct connected or wireless, still happens

3. If the answer is no, then you have a router issue. It could be a load issue. Try playing without a single other item using the router. Try playing the PS3 on wireless and wired. Tried both wired/router. Even upgraded to the best internet my provider has, Roadrunner Lightning. I have this all in one box that I guess acts as my modem, router, and even a home phone line hooks up to it. It looks pretty lol.

4. Run a ping test at pingtest.com Picture below

5. Are you neighbors having the same problem and you are on cable? Cable, never speak to any neighbors, though I don't think any of em are gamers lol(plus, all the houses bordering mine are rentals so they're not even used half the time), and I never have any other issues with my connection dropping when just surfing the web or whatever

6. If it is DSL or fiber, does it get worse in wet weather? Cable, doesn't matter the weather, I literally disconnect every single time on NCAA, Tiger, and NBA2K.

7. If the answer to the above are 'no' then you probably have an interior problem. Have your ISP come in redrop the line. NEVER MENTION GAMING!- Redrop the line? What does that mean, and what do I tell them if they ask why?

8. Go to DSLreports.com, find your ISP, and make a forum post. Will do.

Thanks!!!!
Don't care about that. Pingtest.com
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

I am 99% sure it is packet loss. Why is that important? A packet is just what it sounds like: a packet of network data. We've all suffered from packet loss at one point in timee or another: our webpage stutters, downloads cut off/stutter, etc. However, VoIP and online gaming cannot have packet loss. Servers will not NOT send a packet. If one fails, it will constantly try and send it back. With a web page, you don't need to get all of them in order, per se. With a phone call and online gaming, you do.

Home routers rarely drop packets unless they are failing. It is the infrastructure provided by your ISP/telco.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

trendon wrote:I am 99% sure it is packet loss. Why is that important? A packet is just what it sounds like: a packet of network data. We've all suffered from packet loss at one point in timee or another: our webpage stutters, downloads cut off/stutter, etc. However, VoIP and online gaming cannot have packet loss. Servers will not NOT send a packet. If one fails, it will constantly try and send it back. With a web page, you don't need to get all of them in order, per se. With a phone call and online gaming, you do.

Home routers rarely drop packets unless they are failing. It is the infrastructure provided by your ISP/telco.

If it was a packet loss issue, how do you explain that FIFA works without any issues and has always worked with out any issues?
If it were a packet loss issue, just like if it were a hardware issue, more than certain games would experience this.

It could be something wrong with his modem/router combo, I am not saying it is not, just curious.
trendon
Reactions:

Post by trendon »

Not to make fun of Shel, but what is his sample size. It could be perception bias.
brwnbear
Reactions:

Post by brwnbear »

Didnt he say everything worked for a small period of time. Is this when he had FIFA? Now that he doesnt have FIFA and its not working, there is no way to tell if FIFA really works?
IM: brwnbear26
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

trendon wrote:Not to make fun of Shel, but what is his sample size. It could be perception bias.
Not sure what you mean by this. Don't know that in a sarcastic way, just really not sure lol.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

brwnbear wrote:Didnt he say everything worked for a small period of time. Is this when he had FIFA? Now that he doesnt have FIFA and its not working, there is no way to tell if FIFA really works?
Basically...

Had FIFA and NCAA. FIFA always worked. NCAA 12 had to drop out becuase it did not work, DCed literally every time before halftime. Skipped 2 seasons, then played the final season of NCAA 12 with rarely any DCs. FIFA worked throughout this time.

Traded in FIFA and NCAA for NBA2K. NBA2K worked fine for a month or so, rarely a DC. Then out of the blue, same issue as NCAA, literally every game I would play would DC before the end of the 1st quarter. BOught Tiger Woods, same thing, never could play 9 holes with a group of guys before disconnecting.

Bought NCAA 13, played 1 game, disconnected before halftime.

That's the timeline on games. I can't remember exactly when I upgraded the internet and got the new combo modem/router but it is somewhere in the middle. I think a biggie would be if I ever played FIFA on the new combo modem, but I'm not sure of that part of the timeline.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

So there was a random period of time where the clouds in the sky parted and you were able to play NCAA without disconnects? Weird.

Return to “NDL Open Forum”