Firstrowsports seized by government

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
jsence2
Reactions:

Firstrowsports seized by government

Post by jsence2 »

:(

Sad day for sports fans....

S14: N Texas 7-1
S15: Wake 8-5
S16-21: Washington 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, 9-4, 7-6, 6-7
S22: Ohio 8-5
S23: ECU 12-2
S24-26: Kentucky 8-5, 5-7, 5-7
Career: 102-61
dakshdar
Reactions:

Re: Firstrowsports seized by government

Post by dakshdar »

Haven't heard of them.

Gambling or internet streaming of game feeds?
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

eh, football season is over.

just get something figured out by next football season
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

DRiccio21 wrote:eh, football season is over.

This

I used to watch a lot of hoops, but don't have a lot of time any more lol.
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

UFC, European soccer, etc

This sucks.

Knapp
Reactions:

Post by Knapp »

FUCK!!! :x
Tom Gordon - NDL Iowa State Cyclones
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

shel311 wrote:

This

ahhhh, there it is.... my favorite! 'i don't have time!' (enter my trendon like rant)

how do you not 'have time' to watch hoops?

i mean its not like you actually have to go to the arena, buy tickets, stand in line, find your seat, buy a popcorn and wait 3 hours for it to end.

you turn on the tv, or in this case laptop, and thats it. thats all you do. how do you not have time?

if i can watch thru at least 2 offensive possessions while fucking my girl, you can find a way to catch a few minutes of hoops while babysitting.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

you guys are sad this site is down, but you guys support SOPA :? .. kinda hypocritical, this is piracy too last time I checked.
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

I think it is funny that people will frown upon a guy trying to walk out of a store with a TV, or clothes, or whatever. But a website that streams copyrighted material without permission is the government over stepping its bounds. Give me a break. I'm not saying that I haven't partaken in viewing streams or getting torrents, or whatever, but I'm not pissed at my government for trying to stop people from stealing...That is all
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

cougnix wrote:I think it is funny that people will frown upon a guy trying to walk out of a store with a TV, or clothes, or whatever. But a website that streams copyrighted material without permission is the government over stepping its bounds. Give me a break. I'm not saying that I haven't partaken in viewing streams or getting torrents, or whatever, but I'm not pissed at my government for trying to stop people from stealing...That is all
guess we should shut the NDL down then. We started a league up and used likliness from sports athletes without their permission in a copyrighted game that featured QB #12 and not Andrew Luck. THE HORROR, WE'RE ALL CRIMINALS !!!!!!!
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

the internet is gonna take down governments too. its gonna be great.

the world is in line for some massss revolutions. Internet has made people in this generation way too educated on the curroption and with technology its just too much. There are not enough people in government to overpower the people if they wanted, and eventually when the economy collapses, itll be complete hell. These Occupy movements are just the tip of the iceberg. Gotta remember most military people arent that rich and theyre humans too.
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

It's not about that for me, actually.

1) PPVs are NOT charged a per-event price in Europe for UFC, you can get them simply by subscribing to a sports package. I'm watching the European feeds.

2) Many of the soccer matches I watch on there are matches I can't get here (Sky Sports, Setanta, ITV, etc) so I must find a feed online. I subscribe to all I can here (Fox Soccer, FS+, etc) and thus I'm simply getting packages I can't get here in the States.

For me, the biggest thing is our government seizing a website that isn't hosted in the United States. It's out of their jurisdiction. that is the upsetting part.

nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

jsence2 wrote:It's not about that for me, actually.

1) PPVs are NOT charged a per-event price in Europe for UFC, you can get them simply by subscribing to a sports package. I'm watching the European feeds.

2) Many of the soccer matches I watch on there are matches I can't get here (Sky Sports, Setanta, ITV, etc) so I must find a feed online. I subscribe to all I can here (Fox Soccer, FS+, etc) and thus I'm simply getting packages I can't get here in the States.

For me, the biggest thing is our government seizing a website that isn't hosted in the United States. It's out of their jurisdiction. that is the upsetting part.
+1. I watch NFL on the internet cause Im too lazy to turn my TV on. I'm a criminal!?!?!? Fuck you cougnix you whiny prick
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

nick wrote:
cougnix wrote:I think it is funny that people will frown upon a guy trying to walk out of a store with a TV, or clothes, or whatever. But a website that streams copyrighted material without permission is the government over stepping its bounds. Give me a break. I'm not saying that I haven't partaken in viewing streams or getting torrents, or whatever, but I'm not pissed at my government for trying to stop people from stealing...That is all
guess we should shut the NDL down then. We started a league up and used likliness from sports athletes without their permission in a copyrighted game that featured QB #12 and not Andrew Luck. THE HORROR, WE'RE ALL CRIMINALS !!!!!!!
True by technicality only.

The streaming stuff is a big deal because there is clear and obvious lost revenue. People stream PPV events that they don't pay for, cable broadcasts they don't subscribe to, etc.

Using the name of a person in a video game, when it is not done by the seller of the video game who would in turn potentially profit from use of that name, represents, in the loosest sense, the unauthorized use of a likeness in an artistic work. We, the users of the video game, are in no way profiting from the use of that persons likeness nor are we attempting to use that likeness to advertise some other form of business that we would hope to profit from.

The same holds true for our use of the images of school logos and mascots that we use. If we were creating an online game with these images and mascots and selling that game for profit, you would be clearly in the wrong. If you are using said likenesses for your own personal enjoyment no sane legal department from any school or ogranization is going to go after you. Suggesting otherwise is like saying Duke would come sue me if I painted the Duke "D" on the wall of my rec room. They couldn't care less about stuff like that. It is only when you are cutting them out of a money flow that these groups care.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

dakshdar wrote:
nick wrote:
True by technicality only.

The streaming stuff is a big deal because there is clear and obvious lost revenue. People stream PPV events that they don't pay for, cable broadcasts they don't subscribe to, etc.

Using the name of a person in a video game, when it is not done by the seller of the video game who would in turn potentially profit from use of that name, represents, in the loosest sense, the unauthorized use of a likeness in an artistic work. We, the users of the video game, are in no way profiting from the use of that persons likeness nor are we attempting to use that likeness to advertise some other form of business that we would hope to profit from.

The same holds true for our use of the images of school logos and mascots that we use. If we were creating an online game with these images and mascots and selling that game for profit, you would be clearly in the wrong. If you are using said likenesses for your own personal enjoyment no sane legal department from any school or ogranization is going to go after you. Suggesting otherwise is like saying Duke would come sue me if I painted the Duke "D" on the wall of my rec room. They couldn't care less about stuff like that. It is only when you are cutting them out of a money flow that these groups care.
Touche, But hypothetical Q.. Say we coincidentally went on a site, that had a league, and all the names in the game were us from the NDL, and we looked the same. They are not doing anything illegal by using our likliness/names without our permission? (this is actually a Q for the record and not me being a dick)
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

nick wrote:you guys are sad this site is down, but you guys support SOPA :? .. kinda hypocritical, this is piracy too last time I checked.
Reading comprehension strikes again!
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

DRiccio21 wrote:
shel311 wrote:

This

ahhhh, there it is.... my favorite! 'i don't have time!' (enter my trendon like rant)

i mean its not like you actually have to go to the arena, buy tickets, stand in line, find your seat, buy a popcorn and wait 3 hours for it to end.

you turn on the tv, or in this case laptop, and thats it. thats all you do. how do you not have time?

if i can watch thru at least 2 offensive possessions while fucking my girl, you can find a way to catch a few minutes of hoops while babysitting.
Man, you're in for the rudest of awakenings if you have a kid, much less twins.

Good luck :lol:
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

nick wrote: Touche, But hypothetical Q.. Say we coincidentally went on a site, that had a league, and all the names in the game were us from the NDL, and we looked the same. They are not doing anything illegal by using our likliness/names without our permission? (this is actually a Q for the record and not me being a dick)
I don't know the exact "law" on that.

Going on an assumption that they're not selling something with our likeness, I think you would have a hard time with a court case because what are you losing out on? It isn't like I can sue them for a million dollars because there isn't any justification for my likeness being worth that much. This also assumes you're talking about another football league or something like that. If it was something that could be construed as defamational in nature, and you suffered some measurable loss due to it (you lose your job because someone does an internet parody with your likeness screwing a donkey, or whatever) you can likely sue. But you need to be able to prove damages. Anybody can say, "Joe Blow did a cartoon on with me doing X, Y, & Z. It has hurt my standing in the community. Give me $24mil dollars." Good luck with that. On the other hand, saying that Joe Blow's cartoon was the direct catalyst for you losing a $24mil contract, and proving that, would indeed be cause for action.

Another thought on this:

MAD Magazine. Everyone knows what it is. They spoof other people, movies, music, whatever, that are clearly and obviously real people. Sometimes, these spoofs are pretty rough in terms of how they depict someone. They've been publishing for decades and decades. Do you think they're paying people likeness rights for any of that? No way.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

jsence2 wrote: 2) Many of the soccer matches I watch on there are matches I can't get here (Sky Sports, Setanta, ITV, etc) so I must find a feed online. I subscribe to all I can here (Fox Soccer, FS+, etc) and thus I'm simply getting packages I can't get here in the States.
Shutting down the feed sites is the first step in then allowing the distributors of the games/channels you can't get to consider selling streams of their channel on their own website.

As long as the free sites are up, those companies can't compete. If you remove the free sites and those companies see a market for their product, well then Sky Sports, who probably wouldn't be able to have a US distribution deal with a cable company if they wanted to do this, could sell subscriptions to a feed off their site to international subscribers and probably give you what you want in much better quality for a fee you're probably willing to pay.
buckeye76
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by buckeye76 »

shel311 wrote:
DRiccio21 wrote:
shel311 wrote:

This

Man, you're in for the rudest of awakenings if you have a kid, much less twins.

Good luck :lol:
He is in for awakening of sorts to say. Especially now, (at the 15 month stage) if you take your eye of them for 60 secs you cant even begin to understand just what they can get into. I just put the games on in the background and catch it when I can. If its on Tv Tivo is your best friend. I'm pretty lucky, I get to hang with her everyday I'm not at work from 3pm on while the wife goes to work.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”