Random Discussions

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Re: Random Discussions

Post by GeorgesGoons »

If the air strikes don't work we will be sending in ground troops once again. Look for Americans in Iraq/Syria by this time next year.

I know my platoon was supposed to go to Jordan but the UAS platoons are now going to Baghdad and flying missions there.
ImageImageImage
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

I will admit I honestly dont know much about why we left are going back what is going on with this beheading clan and why they are doing what they are doing.

Its all so foreign to me as I just dont understand the mess that is the middle east. I would venture to guess its all about oil but maybe I am a bad American for not being educated on the whole issue.
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

We've got to leave it alone. The Middle East has been a mess since the beginning of time and nothing is going to change it. This isn't as simple as removing a leader to solve the problem. These are ethnic, religious, tribal, and cultural conflicts that go back hundreds or even a thousand years. Leave it alone. Tell Americans to stay away or be prepared to deal with the consequences of the risks they've taken. Let Israel handle their problems if it comes their way.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Cnasty wrote:I will admit I honestly dont know much about why we left are going back what is going on with this beheading clan and why they are doing what they are doing.

Its all so foreign to me as I just dont understand the mess that is the middle east. I would venture to guess its all about oil but maybe I am a bad American for not being educated on the whole issue.
I don't think it's directly related to oil, however I do believe that plays a part in why we would go back. My reason for thinking that...

A lot of the stuff going on there boils down to genocide in it's simplest form, killing any and all non-muslims and anyone that isn't Sunni or Shi'ite (don't remember who the Isis idiots are). Nobody cared/cares about the genocide happening in Africa because they have nothing to offer the free world. That's just my assumption because the middle east only offers us oil. It's also imperative that we have peace and calm there because it is a terrorist breeding ground and if left unchecked could lead to another attack on U.S. soil, or another western country that is closely allied with us.
ImageImageImage
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

ISIS is a Sunni extremist group but they have implicit, if not secretly direct, backing from Saudi Arabia which is the dominant Sunni nation in the region and a direct competitor with Iran which is the dominant Shi'ite nation in the region. That's what a lot of this really boils down to is the two big powers in the area flexing their muscles behind the scenes and all the smaller nations in between get caught in it.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

LetsGoPeay wrote:We've got to leave it alone. The Middle East has been a mess since the beginning of time and nothing is going to change it. This isn't as simple as removing a leader to solve the problem. These are ethnic, religious, tribal, and cultural conflicts that go back hundreds or even a thousand years. Leave it alone. Tell Americans to stay away or be prepared to deal with the consequences of the risks they've taken. Let Israel handle their problems if it comes their way.
I think the one problem with leaving the region alone is that it could breed another large scale terrorist attack on American soil, think Afghanistan.

We will always have interest in that region because we are too reliant on oil. Until we can figure out How to keep HP and Torque in our vehicles using alternative fuels (that is a big selling point for auto makers) we will always be reliant on internal combustion engines. How would we get goods across the country or even state/city without semi-trucks? We have to have oil, once we break our need is when we can say fuck that region. But we would always have to worry about the breeding grounds for terrorist.
ImageImageImage
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

LetsGoPeay wrote:We've got to leave it alone. The Middle East has been a mess since the beginning of time and nothing is going to change it. This isn't as simple as removing a leader to solve the problem. These are ethnic, religious, tribal, and cultural conflicts that go back hundreds or even a thousand years. Leave it alone. Tell Americans to stay away or be prepared to deal with the consequences of the risks they've taken. Let Israel handle their problems if it comes their way.
This.
PSN & 360: AUTiger730
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

In all honesty, it is a lose lose situation for us. We are damned if we go in or intervene in the region and we are damned if we sit back and Let it play out.

We really need to make the Arab nations fight this fight, but it is easier for them to sit back and let us do all the dirty work and it keeps their hands clean.

I read last week that Isis is making $3m a day in selling oil on the black market and could top $1B yearly. It said that they were selling a barrel of oil as low as $25 per, when on the free market it is going for approximately $100 a barrel. If they could make Damn near $1B a year, can you imagine the arms they could buy with that?
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

autiger730 wrote:
This.
I wish it was as easy as this. But I think all of us know better.
ImageImageImage
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Not suggesting this but it makes me think about how other things were handled previously.

Do you think in our lifetime we will see another Hiroshima/Nagasaki atomic bombing?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Cnasty wrote:Not suggesting this but it makes me think about how other things were handled previously.

Do you think in our lifetime we will see another Hiroshima/Nagasaki atomic bombing?
I don't we would be the initiator in that kind of attack. We will never see the carpet bombing that was common place in WWII either, Americans don't like to see non-combatant casualties. However, it could work I think.
ImageImageImage
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

wasnt ISIS formed because of America going in and toppling Saddam?
autiger730
Reactions:

Post by autiger730 »

Cnasty wrote:Not suggesting this but it makes me think about how other things were handled previously.

If we do, it will be way more than 2 and by more than one country that gets dropped.
PSN & 360: AUTiger730
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Cnasty wrote:I will admit I honestly dont know much about why we left are going back what is going on with this beheading clan and why they are doing what they are doing.

I've admitted plenty of times I don't know much about what's going on in the Middle East.

We all know and hear how they've been fighting for thousands of years, nonstop basically. Well, it sure seems like they've basically sucked us right into that fight, and we'll be fighting for the next 100 years as well. Something has to give at some point, it feels "useless"...I don't mean that in the literal sense, but more in the sense that we deal with Al Qaeda, then it's on to Iraq. We deal with Iraq, now it's ISIL. We deal with ISIL, and I'm sure it'll be something else...and so on and so forth.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

GeorgesGoons wrote: It's also imperative that we have peace and calm there because it is a terrorist breeding ground and if left unchecked could lead to another attack on U.S. soil
That's the tough part to reconcile with my previous post.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

nick wrote:wasnt ISIS formed because of America going in and toppling Saddam?
I am 99% positive the answer to this question is no.

Isis was formed just recently (probably during the Arab Spring) to fight in Syria. I could be wrong bit I don't think I am and it's too hard to research on my phone.
ImageImageImage
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Not sure, but since you brought it up,I am still not sure how we decided to go to war with Iraq when we did, never made any sense to me considering some of the other countries involvement in 9/11 and other terrorist plots.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

ya im pretty sure ISIS didnt become a global terrorist group in 4 months...
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

shel311 wrote:
Not sure, but since you brought it up,I am still not sure how we decided to go to war with Iraq when we did, never made any sense to me considering some of the other countries involvement in 9/11 and other terrorist plots.
I agree shel. I never understood why we were there in the first place, but after being there I think it was right for us to be there. The crimes the Bathe party brought on to opposing groups, Kurds, was nothing short of genocide. Remember, my reasoning for why we cared about the genocide there instead of Rwanda is because of the oil.
ImageImageImage
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

nick wrote:ya im pretty sure ISIS didnt become a global terrorist group in 4 months...
Take this for what it's with as I found in on Wikipedia.

Isis was officially formed as who they are today in January 2014. They were an offshoot of Al Queda of Iraq bit AQI distanced themselves saying Isis was too violent. Which doesn't make much sense to me.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off Topic Forum”