73%
Leave the rule as it is
27%

Total votes: 15

dusters06
Reactions:

Player Option as guaranteed

Post by dusters06 »

So after looking things over, it appears the game doesn't consider PO's as guaranteed, but for the sake of the league, I think we should. Open to discussion but I'm hoping we can reword our player contract rule to state TO's can't exceed 25% of all guaranteed years including PO's.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Player Option as guaranteed

Post by shel311 »

Doesn't need a vote imo.

The rules just needs clarification and to be reworded.

Fwiw, leaving the rule as is is no good as the rule as is doesn't really make sense.
dusters06
Reactions:

Post by dusters06 »

It does make sense, the game doesn't count PO's as guaranteed money, neither does our rule. So therefore PO's and TO's don't count as guaranteed when determining that 25% in option years

Maybe I'm missing something though...
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

dusters06 wrote: the game doesn't count PO's as guaranteed money
The game does count it as guaranteed money.

Click the button to release any player with a player option, that salary is added to the amount you pay, it's guaranteed.

Quintana, as the example, I signed him to a 4 year/$65mil deal, with the 4th year as a player option for $20mil. Just now, I clicked to release him, and it says I'd owe $65mil if I released him.
dusters06
Reactions:

Post by dusters06 »

shel311 wrote:
dusters06 wrote: the game doesn't count PO's as guaranteed money
The game does count it as guaranteed money.

Click the button to release any player with a player option, that salary is added to the amount you pay, it's guaranteed.

Quintana, as the example, I signed him to a 4 year/$65mil deal, with the 4th year as a player option for $20mil. Just now, I clicked to release him, and it says I'd owe $65mil if I released him.
Well offer a player a 2 year deal, 1st year at 1 mil, 2nd year as a PO for 1 year, says guaranteed money is 1 mil. So I say no it doesn't count it
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

If it didn't, as you say, I could release Quintana right now for $45mil. But I can't.

Fwiw, I'm not talking about game concepts or what the game "says" as that's irrelevant, I'm talking about what the game actually does.

Quintana's 4th year is a guaranteed year. Under no circumstances is that 4th year NOT guaranteed.
dusters06
Reactions:

Post by dusters06 »

Maybe our definitions of guaranteed are different, he is guaranteed 3 years, and a 4th if he so chooses. Guaranteed value vs potential value. An option year is just that, an option.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

If you have a standard 6 year contract (years 5 and 6 not chosen to be option years) with a player and have a player opt out clause after year 3, do years 4, 5, and 6 have to be within 25% of the average of 1, 2, and 3, or does only year 4 have to be within 25% of years 1, 2, and 3 and then years 5 and 6 can be whatever you want because they aren't option years if the player doesn't opt out? Or does year 4 have to be within 25% of years 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6? Because, isn't a player opt out clause the same as a player option year at some point in the contract other than the last two years?
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

How have 4 people voted no. Come on guys, you are better than this
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

dakshdar wrote:If you have a standard 6 year contract (years 5 and 6 not chosen to be option years) with a player and have a player opt out clause after year 3, do years 4, 5, and 6 have to be within 25% of the average of 1, 2, and 3, or does only year 4 have to be within 25% of years 1, 2, and 3 and then years 5 and 6 can be whatever you want because they aren't option years if the player doesn't opt out? Or does year 4 have to be within 25% of years 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6? Because, isn't a player opt out clause the same as a player option year at some point in the contract other than the last two years?
this is like some type of test question.....I spaced out about 1/2 way through
dusters06
Reactions:

Post by dusters06 »

wdoupis wrote:How have 4 people voted no. Come on guys, you are better than this
Either way we should make a decision on it so there's more clarity. The way it is currently written, the Quintana deal is technically not legal but I feel noone would have an objection to it seeing it is the PO that makes it that way. We can't pick and choose which rules to follow and which ones to slightly bend. The rule says "all option years"...which is why we're voting to change it to all TO years. Personally, i don't think a PO is considered guaranteed. To me, guaranteed means regardless of the action of player or team, he is guaranteed that money. If he has an option to leave, then I wouldn't say it is guaranteed. I'm fine with it either way but just want clarity in the rule as to whether we consider POs part of the guaranteed deal.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Yes PO are guaranteed in the deal and have always considered so as the game considers it to be.

The largest concern I have is manipulating options to go from $10mil a year to a $25mil a year option. The AI is unable to recognize this and considers this guaranteed money which is why this was enacted in the first place.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Cnasty wrote:The largest concern I have is manipulating options to go from $10mil a year to a $25mil a year option
That's why we have the rule and it should be clarified and changed for only team and Vesting options.

We don't need a vote for that imo.
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Consistently inconsistent :lol:
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

god we make shit so confusing....
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

DRWebs wrote:Consistently inconsistent :lol:
Hey look who it is guys!
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

well this thread gave me a headache. It should be 30-0 Yes AINEC. The fact we have 4 nos shows that some ppl in this league still dont understand the simplest of finances lol
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

you literally cannot add a buyout to player options.

dusters06
Reactions:

Post by dusters06 »

nick wrote:you literally cannot add a buyout to player options.

Thanks for literally showing that. Just update the way our rule is written, that's all this was supposed to do
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

literally no problem

Return to “Winter Meetings”