Rocksmith 2014 (PS4)

Various games played by NDL members.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Rocksmith 2014 (PS4)

Post by dakshdar »

I saw from a search that at least Niddler was checking this out.

Rocksmith had a one day (I think) sale Monday at BestBuy online and I picked it up for $30 (including the cable).

I've had an electric bass for years, never got anywhere with it.

This game really is the extension of Guitar Hero or Rock Back. The way they work you through a song so that you learn techniques as you go is amazing. And the base 50 songs that it comes with are pretty good overall. I can see many, many hours to get to the point where you've played and mastered them all. Not to mention there appears to be hundreds of DLC song options.

Looking into getting a hard body electric as well since you can also play/learn the rhythm and lead guitar portions for each song as well.

Somewhat interested in how local multiplayer works, but need another guitar and cable.

Anyone else besides JD played it?
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Rocksmith 2014 (PS4)

Post by Cnasty »

Bucket list goal, learn how to play guitar before I die

Do you feel it is easy to catch on as someone that has never even held a guitar? I have always been intrigued by the game.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

I'm playing bass so not sure how it feels for the lead or rhythm guitar.

But, they start out very slow and they have video lessons on how to hold and play the guitar as well.

Need some more time to really feel it out, but definitely enjoying it and feel like it is more "real" than playing other games at the moment.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

So it plugs directly into the guitar and mimics your playing on the screen ala rock band or something like that?
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Cnasty wrote:Bucket list goal, learn how to play guitar before I die
Yep.

I dated a girl in college, her entire family was very musically inclined. She gave me one of her Dad's acoustic guitars. I messed around with it for a month or 2. Really wish the guitar was at my place and not hers when we eventually broke up. :lol:
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

It will help with the atmosphere at the Key West bar we are opening of course.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Cnasty wrote:It will help with the atmosphere at the Key West bar we are opening of course.
"Play Margaritaville!!!!"
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Is there any better icebreaker at a party than someone playing some classics on an acoustic guitar?

With the rocksmith game, are other instruments available? I dabbled with a banjo in college (mentioned it in passing as a joke to my parents, they got me one for Christmas one year) but havent touched it since med school
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

It's only for plug in guitars. Plugs straight into the jack.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

Cnasty wrote:So it plugs directly into the guitar and mimics your playing on the screen ala rock band or something like that?
Yes. It shows an icon approaching the guitar strings on the screen and you have to hold down the string in that fret and hit it when the timing lines up.

shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Black Keys, good song choice!!!
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocksmith_2014#Track_list

The unlockable songs seem "meh" but the main list is pretty good.

And then there's 677 downloadable songs (either individually or in 168 song packs).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... _Rocksmith
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Is it more of a game like Rock Band, or do you really feel you're learning something?

And rather than playing songs, are there just tutorials?

So for example, if you do this enough and learn the basics, if you're given sheet music for random ish some song, you could theoretically play it?
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

I'd have to get into it more, but I say you learn much more than the other games because the game forces you to find and play frets and strings vs just 4 buttons and one strum trigger.

Each song has a "path" to learn it. If you play them in suggested order, you learn some new technique on each song, then it has your work on tougher parts of the song at different difficulties and speeds until you get it, then you try to improve your song score over a few playings. You can skip out of that at any time and just try to play the song at different difficulty levels, but that will not help learning as much. It does really feel like it is geared toward learning, building the muscle memory for playing certain notes/riffs, etc.

There are also "arcade" games that reinforce certain skills like moving from string to string, fret to fret, keeping a certain tempo, etc. They're designed like 80s style arcade games with 8bit graphics and some theme. But rather than being a time waster in game, you're actually working on improving your ability with something that transfers over into the song playing.
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

dakshdar wrote:Each song has a "path" to learn it. If you play them in suggested order, you learn some new technique on each song, then it has your work on tougher parts of the song at different difficulties and speeds until you get it, then you try to improve your song score over a few playings. You can skip out of that at any time and just try to play the song at different difficulty levels, but that will not help learning as much. It does really feel like it is geared toward learning, building the muscle memory for playing certain notes/riffs, etc.

There are also "arcade" games that reinforce certain skills like moving from string to string, fret to fret, keeping a certain tempo, etc. They're designed like 80s style arcade games with 8bit graphics and some theme. But rather than being a time waster in game, you're actually working on improving your ability with something that transfers over into the song playing.
That sounds awesome.

Corey, wanna go halfsies on an electric guitar? I found just the right one!
Spoiler!
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

I seriously would geek out and drink beer and work on this in the media room.

This sounds fantastic
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

You buy the guitar and keep it at your place, i'll buy the game, and you can also keep it at your place? Deal!!!

Unless you were already planning on buying both, in which case, no deal!!!
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Wouldn't even know where to start about what kind of guitar to buy, where to look ,etc but it sounds like a deal!!
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

http://www.songsimian.com/best-guitar-f ... th-review/

I'm thinking about looking around for a used version of the telecaster ($180 one at the end).

From what I've read, it is perfectly fine for both the game and trying to play outside the game as well. For the game, an amp isn't needed, so that can always be purchased later.

Return to “Other Games”