Reactions:

Board Games

Post by dakshdar »

dakshdar
Reactions:

Re: Board Games

Post by dakshdar »

dakshdar wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:20 pm Image
A good deal of necessary OT during the pandemic while finishing up JWST at work led to more spending than I previously thought I would ever do on board gaming.

The plan with the garage space is to add in our old kitchen table (new one comes tomorrow) so I can have some games set-up long term to play through them. One of the challenges with most "big" board games is the time it takes to set-up and put-away. Many of the games have campaigns just like a video game - so you have 30-40-50+ hours of gameplay. But if it takes 30 minutes to set-up every time you want to play and 20 minutes to put it away, and then a play sessions goes for 1.5-2 hours, makes it rough to actually play and enjoy. I'm hoping the permanent game table in the garage space will help get more of these to the table to enjoy.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

So these are like D&D or some kind of solo RPG board game?

With 2 young daughters, my board game experience is limited to Candyland, Guess Who, throwing a burrito and a card game about Tacos, Cats and Pizza. I feel relieved when they ask to play War.
PSN: ReignOnU
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

ReignOnU wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:40 pm
With 2 young daughters, my board game experience is limited to Candyland, Guess Who, throwing a burrito and a card game about Tacos, Cats and Pizza. I feel relieved when they ask to play War.
I play a mean game of Taco vs Burrito, I'll take on all challengers!!!
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

ReignOnU wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:40 pm So these are like D&D or some kind of solo RPG board game?

Most of the games have a solo options - it's a big part of what I look for if I'm going to invest money in it since I can't be planning to have people over all the time.

I'd say they're not too D&D like - no need to have someone that runs the game for you or a large group to really enjoy.

Some games are basic 1 v 1 fun games (those also tend to be easier to set-up/put-away). A lot of card/dice mechanics in those usually.

Many are hand/resource management - to take actions you have to use some kind of resource and you're limited on how many actions you can take in a turn by that.

Most of the games are generally co-operative, which means you can always play them solo even if more than one character is needed to balance the game (you can just play both characters). A lot would be called "Dungeon Crawl" style. There's a map, there's your characters, there's the enemy. Game AI/random cards/some other facet controls where the enemies move and what they do (some even have an app that does it) and you're making your character decisions based on whatever the goal of that mission/scenario are. In a lot of those your character grows and changes over time (new equipment, abilities, etc). So that's a little D&D like, but not to the point where you're role-playing.

I'd say my favorites have been Dice Throne (have all their releases) - think Yahtzee dice rolling but you're trying for combinations that unlock actions that damage your opponent (and there's cards that manipulate/change the results as well); Marvel United - co-operative hand management (card) and board state management (you're rescuing civilians, defeating "thugs", and fighting some main enemy); Marvel Champions - card game with hand management, resource usage, and managing game state (trying to reduce enemy hit points but also have to prevent them from completing their goal through mitigating their actions); and Gloomhaven - dungeon crawl, your hand of cards is your action pool and the "time-limit" on the scenario (when you're out of cards you lose so you have limited actions you can take to complete your objectives), multiple character types and roles they fulfill.

My 8 year old can play and understands Marvel United. After that we have to change some rules to simplify things, but we're slowly expanding to where things can be more complicated.

And there is a lot on these shelves I haven't gotten enough time to play to really get into - LotR: Journey's in Middle Earth; Sleeping Gods; Great Wall; Tainted Grail; Stars of Akarios; and many more. They're something of a long term investment for future fun - and board game resale market is ok if I want to get rid of them in the future (especially so since many of these were kickstarter exclusive and/or hard to get a retail).
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

Does strat-o-matic still exist ?

When I get we young my brother got me into those games and I’d play them a ton with buddies and have leagues
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

DRiccio21 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:50 pm Does strat-o-matic still exist ?

When I get we young my brother got me into those games and I’d play them a ton with buddies and have leagues
Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Strat-O-Matic-Ba ... B00155CWS2

I don't know anything about it though - is it like OOTP in paper form?
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mgUDzLn4lk

thats easier to watch than for me to understand but its a dice game.

every player has a card, the better players have a higher ranges of rolls to get hits.

i have really great memories of drafting teams and playing games as a kid. i might get it for my son soon even tho he's probably too young.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Dork
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

I decided to load up on board games during the pandemic. Fairly certain two have been opened. Risk, Monopoly, Operation, shit not a board game but bought Jenga. All I need is A Grape Escape and I'm good

Return to “Other Games”