NFL Thread

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
nick
Reactions:

Re: NFL Thread

Post by nick »

cleveland is looking to analytics i believe so could explain why theyre not overpaying. FA is typically a place where bad contracts happen lol. Draft draft draft bargain bin
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Denver can still match the offer sheet is my understanding.

I think they would.
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Cnasty wrote:Denver can still match the offer sheet is my understanding.

I think they would.
Correct on the first part, but they could have also done that for a higher level tender if my understanding is correct. That would have given them an option to either match or say receive a 3/4th round pick is they didn't. Still not making a whole lot of sense regardless because if they wanted him they should have resigned him before he hit the open market where his price almost always gets driven up due to multiple teams vying for his services. And most reports expect him to sign with Miami or anywhere else but Denver from what I've seen

Edit: did some research and here were the possible outcomes since CJ Anderson was an undrafted free agent

~ Tendered at 1st round level: 1 year deal for 2.88M if no offers received; 1st round pick received if team declines to match offer
~ Tendered at 2nd round level: 1 year deal for 2.02M if no offers received; 2nd round pick received if team declines to match offer
~ Tendered at original round level: 1 year deal for 1.32M if no offers received; no draft pick compensation for UDFA

Pretty much all running backs worth something this offseason received north of 4M per season, with Doug Martin receiving 7M. Can't wrap my head around this for them considering they had cap issues and could have recouped a draft pick if he left
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Seems like a smart move thinking they pay a minimum amount versus a bidding war in the open market free agent pool.

Also he is a running back. A good, not spectacular and definitely replaceable back so I can see why they did what they did.
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Cnasty wrote:Seems like a smart move thinking they pay a minimum amount versus a bidding war in the open market free agent pool.

Also he is a running back. A good, not spectacular and definitely replaceable back so I can see why they did what they did.
So you'd rather they pay 700k less than possibly receive a second round pick? Or if they match they now have to pay at least double the tender amount had someone not matched? I don't understand your logic. The only way it makes sense is if they didn't want him on a 1 year deal for 2M
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

DRWebs wrote:The only way it makes sense is if they didn't want him on a 1 year deal for 2M
Which is pretty obvious I think that they didn't as they had other priorities.

He is average at best in that position and in that offense IMO.
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Cnasty wrote:
DRWebs wrote:The only way it makes sense is if they didn't want him on a 1 year deal for 2M
Which is pretty obvious I think that they didn't as they had other priorities.

He is average at best in that position and in that offense IMO.
Man, we're going to have to agree to disagree here. If they didn't like him at 1/2M they wouldn't have even tendered him. This isn't just me saying this, it's multiple reporters/sites/publications completely baffled by their lack of understanding of the RFA process. Also, CJ Anderson averaged 4.8 yards per carry last year, bested only by Doug Martin and Todd Gurley among backs with 150 or more carries. Ronnie Hillman on the other hand was well below league average. That offense is going to LOL bad if it's led by Kapernick and Hillman :lol:
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Saints cut Browner, restructure Brees, and swap Watson for Fleener... Not bad
Last edited by DRWebs on Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

It really doesn't seem to make much sense IMO

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... j-anderson
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Logistically I don't know enough about the ins and outs of tenders besides chicken ones but my statesman stands that he is at a position that is easy to fill, isn't a superstar and they honestly thought no one would even want to match or expect this much attention.

Probably wrong on their end but he was easily the lowest on the totem pole of priorities and they thought they could throw him a bone and it didn't work that way.

Hes not a primary back that can carry a team. The Broncos made CJ Anderson not the other way around. :)

Buh bye
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

shel311 wrote:It really doesn't seem to make much sense IMO

Exactly correct and what I was stating but maybe not in the best way.
suggests Denver underestimated Anderson's value by assigning the low tender of $1.671 million.
steelcitychaos
Reactions:

Post by steelcitychaos »

In Elway I trust with what he has planned out for the Broncos.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Cnasty wrote:

suggests Denver underestimated Anderson's value by assigning the low tender of $1.671 million.
Yea, but that basically means they probably don't think they're losing much by losing him, but given the interest in him, it does mean that someone may have picked up that tender, and thus Denver has lost out on the possibility of a draft pick by underestimating his value.
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

shel311 wrote:
Cnasty wrote:

Yea, but that basically means they probably don't think they're losing much by losing him, but given the interest in him, it does mean that someone may have picked up that tender, and thus Denver has lost out on the possibility of a draft pick by underestimating his value.
The only thing that article says that supports ANYTHING youre saying Corey is that there would be a bidding war for his services once he hit the open market :lol:
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

They totally under estimated him not even factoring in a draft pick thinking the offer was sufficient. An error probably but easy to say that now since the interest has spiked.

I think a bad GM move in the fact they probably were worried about other priorities thinking he was the last thing to worry about when you can't assume like that for a GM. I would value the draft pick more than him in this error so you are totally correct.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

As long as we have Von Miller and that defense, put 4'11 Dub back in the backfield for all I care. :)
DRWebs
Reactions:

Post by DRWebs »

Cnasty wrote:As long as we have Von Miller and that defense, put 4'11 Dub back in the backfield for all I care. :)
That offense would be LOL terrible :)
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

I feel like Kaep and Denver would be a great fit.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

My Brownies are going to bring Kaep to Cleveland.
Draft Bosa with the 2nd overall pick if he is there and ruin his career!
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler

Return to “Off Topic Forum”