COVID-19

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: COVID-19

Post by shel311 »

footballkelly31 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:17 pm You sir are spot on..jsence is right no one needs that much
Sure, he's right that no one needs that much money.

Where he's wrong is saying since you don't need it you shouldn't have it. That's very, very obviously wrong.

I bet all of us have a bunch of shit we don't need, and we wouldn't take kindly to others trying to tell us we don't deserve it and/or should give it away because we don't need it, but we have no problem telling someone else what they do or don't deserve and/or should just give away.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Crowes wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:38 pm https://www.brookings.edu/research/meet ... workforce/

Maybe if we actually knew the reality of the situation we wouldnt be assuming and talking about fairly tale scenarios of how only kids in school are the one's forced to work low wage jobs.

How is it easier to believe that the overwhelming number (literally millions) of people outside school age that make up this workforce are lazy instead of they are performing a service and their labor deserves adequate compensation? 🤦
Nearly one-third live below 150% of the federal poverty line (about $36,000 for a family of four), and almost half have a high school diploma or less
If only someone said to better yourself from the beginning. And college isn't always the answer, trade schools offer better living as well. Hard work and determination pays off. Once again, my brother who dropped out before his junior year, spent a decade in prison is making 60k a year in a job most people would never want to do. He works for a plumbing company snaking out shit drains 10 hours a day and picks up as much OT as he can. He makes $26/hr. So if you are working a low income job it's purely on you. Nobody cares about you...you have to do for yourself and not rely on handouts or hand ups.
ImageImageImage
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

jsence2 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:20 am
Ok, let's discuss Louisville....

1) If you think $150 covers core utilities, try again. LG&E alone will eat that much per month, usually more.
It took me all over 1 google search to rebuke this non-sense. $144 for a 915 sq ft, which is 50% bigger than a 600 sq ft, 1 bedroom.
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Louisville
2) Unlimited meals, what McDonald's you working at?! I have friends who have worked there... if you edit the menu item at all (no mustard, for example), it's no longer free. And it's one meal per shift. No add-ons.
Then find something on the menu that you don't have to fuck with. Free is free. As for 1 meal per shift, etc... as I said, IDK the current policy. 1 meal is 1 meal though.
3) $50 for internet....for the first year, maybe. And if your apartment doesn't have multiple options for providers (many don't), you're up to $85 a month after that first year with Spectrum.
Sounds like you've got a year to earn a .25 raise to cover your internet expense increase. Seems doable.

4.) That "left over" of $150 a month doesn't go far at all. Public transit? Yeah, not available in all places. Where it is, like here....you're on the bus 1-2 hours a day. At least. Oh, and "extras" include things like doctor appointments, clothing for work, random fees, etc. And forget having any savings if you have something happen like you hurt yourself or you have an emergency expense of some sort.
No one said it's easy. That's why you show up, work hard, and improve yourself in your spare time. God forbid you have to put in some effort to be successful.
Again, why demean someone for the job they work? Why look down on them and say "you don't deserve to be paid a livable wage"? It makes no sense to me. It's class warfare, and the people at the top are laughing their asses all the way to the bank as they rob the rest of us blind, hoard all the wealth in this country, and watch us fight amongst each other.
I didn't pick the job or wage rate to analyze. I just responded. $10 an hour at McDonald's, full time, is livable. Just because you don't get to live the good life on it, doesn't mean it's not.
Nobody, NO BO DY, needs to have a billion dollars, much less multiple billions. There is enough wealth in this country for everyone to be able to live without fear of losing their home, their job, their food, etc. There is enough wealth for those who work harder and take more risks to be compensated accordingly. You're demeaning someone saying they don't deserve more--do you think you don't deserve more than what you're making at your job now? We all do.

Here's the last thing I'm going to say on this....UPS and Amazon. Two companies with similar demands for their warehouse staff. It's manual labor. Both employers in this area. This gets to the point of "deserve". It's not about what people "deserve", it's about companies paying the least they can so the people at the top can get richer...

Amazon pays their employees shit. They don't give good benefits. Their workers are under insane stress, and if they mess up twice, they're out. Few breaks. Micromanaged beyond hell. No COVID protections during the past year. If they try to unionize, they're rooted out and fired.

UPS pays their employees $14 an hour, minimum, and give bonuses for working nights and weekends. They pay for college, not just community college but UofL, for four years if you work for them that time (pay it each semester directly to the school). Union benefits. Promotion opportunities. If you screw up, you have a documented path of what happens. Very stringent protections for their workers the past year.

It's not about worth. It's not about "deserve". It's about labor realizing their power and exercising it in the union negotiations. Both companies can afford to pay their workers what they're worth. One does, one doesn't. That doesn't mean the Amazon employees "get what they deserve", it means they take what they can get. And workers are finally realizing they hold the power, and they're demanding better.
Listen Don Quixote, all of the raging about billionaires is fine, but it has nothing to do people being lazy and waiting for a handout. In fact, your own example is a prime example of what's great about our system. If you don't like Amazon, then make sure you show up, put in the work, get the good review and head on over to UPS. Then when you get to UPS, bust your ass sorting/loading, get some more good reviews and move up to get your route and enjoy a pretty comfortable life and eventually retirement. You don't need a college education. You don't need trade school. All you have to do is show up on time, do your job, not fuck up and you'll be on your way.
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Crowes wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:38 pm https://www.brookings.edu/research/meet ... workforce/

Maybe if we actually knew the reality of the situation we wouldnt be assuming and talking about fairly tale scenarios of how only kids in school are the one's forced to work low wage jobs.

How is it easier to believe that the overwhelming number (literally millions) of people outside school age that make up this workforce are lazy instead of they are performing a service and their labor deserves adequate compensation? 🤦
I'm sure you realize that their metro adjusted low wage ranges from $14-$20 per hour.

Hah, nah, who am I kidding, you just posted some bullshit without understanding it again.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

jsence2 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:11 am
GeorgesGoons wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:08 pm Are we at riot level now that 2 ANTIFA members are here? Need to know if I need to cling to my gun and bible
The Bible that I own talks about a man named Jesus who preached against hoarding wealth, not helping those in need, loving those who screw up in life and need help because of their own mistakes, not listening to false prophets, turning the other cheek, etc.

Maybe instead of clinging to the Bible, some folks should open it up and read what's in it. Mainly the chapters in the New Testament.
Oh oh... we're going to quote some scripture... I call dibs on Proverbs 13:4 - "The soul of a lazy man desires, and has nothing; But the soul of the diligent shall be made rich." I can probably rip 10-15 pieces of scripture pretty quick if that's where we want to take the discussion. Funny enough, my favorite part of getting my business degree was going through the theology stuff since it was a Christian university.

You think it's just coincidence that Republicans and the Bible tend to be aligned?
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

jsence2 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:27 pm
GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:13 am
jsence2 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:11 am
GeorgesGoons wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:08 pm Are we at riot level now that 2 ANTIFA members are here? Need to know if I need to cling to my gun and bible
The Bible that I own talks about a man named Jesus who preached against hoarding wealth, not helping those in need, loving those who screw up in life and need help because of their own mistakes, not listening to false prophets, turning the other cheek, etc.

Maybe instead of clinging to the Bible, some folks should open it up and read what's in it. Mainly the chapters in the New Testament.
Obviously you didn't get the reference
And obviously you didn't get the point where I'm pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of the majority of "Christian conservatives" who rail about "handouts" and "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" and don't think people "deserve" to make a living wage because they work a shitty job.
...or you don't get the point of why they think that because you've picked and chosen the parts of the Bible that you want for your argument. That shit works both ways. Spare us.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

footballkelly31 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:17 pm You sir are spot on..jsence is right no one needs that much and employee comp should be better. Reign and george are right that it shouldnt be an expectation and one needs to improve their situation. Improving ones situation is different for everyone which is what i think crowes was getting at along with the growing disparity in the wealth gap and the rising cost of living in this day and age.

There is no right or wrong answer as it is surely a blend of many factors. We can only hope the government (while needed for some level of oversight as humans as a whole are egocentric and self preserving) doesn't over extend its power and artificially adjust the system (likely to late)
99% chance they fuck up.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Where in the bible does it talk about covid
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

I will say... I think billionaires who sit on their money are scum. There’s a finite number of total dollars and if they hoard it then it can’t be redistributed. I’m sure most billionaires through their businesses and lifestyles are funneling a lot back into the economy so my gripe is with the few.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

nick wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:20 pm I will say... I think billionaires who sit on their money are scum. There’s a finite number of total dollars and if they hoard it then it can’t be redistributed. I’m sure most billionaires through their businesses and lifestyles are funneling a lot back into the economy so my gripe is with the few.
Joe Biden: Hold my beer

I think we're going to test this theory.

As for billionaires and usage... I don't know. I actually think that at some point, there has to be a curve down regarding how much they can circulate, even through their businesses. I'd also say you're more optimistic than I am regarding how many funnel it back through. It's sums of money I'll never be able to relate to though. They 100% have the right to earn it and do whatever they want with it. While I also think they should be giving way more back than many do, I also don't consider them a spawn of Satan and everything that's wrong with the world. It's their right to do as they wish. If it's hookers and blow, so be it. If it's giving to help charities, that's awesome. It's not up to our government to dictate how it's spent.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Back to COVID... mask mandate is going away in Ohio very soon... but if you want to be a real winner, you need to get vaccinated!

DeWine's COVID Lottery

Yup, dumbass DeWine has topped himself once more... we're going to give $1m to 5 different people that have been vaccinated. Why? Because fuck it, it's just money.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Memorial Day week I believe the mask mandate ends here in Omaha. Cannot wait for this crap to end
ImageImageImage
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

This thread gives me some great laughs, lol.
Jsence, while I agree with you that I hate people that have a billion dollars, 99% of the people that are worth that kind of money, worked for it. If you are a go getter, you deserve whatever you have, you earned it.
While I hate Jeff Bezos for being a billionaire, he started Amazon. It is his company. He pays his employees well and deserves the money that he has.
And your discussion about salary or selling, etc. it doesn't matter to me how they got that money. If you start a company and it is worth billions and you sell it, you deserve it, you started that.
As far as salary, do you even begin to understand what the person's life is like if they are making say, $1 Million per year as a salary?
Sure, they get paid way more than you think they should, however, they eat, sleep and breathe that company.
They, most likely, do not have a life outside of that company.
But all people see is the dollars. They don't see that they are constantly on the phone, working, 100% of the time they are awake.
So it is easy to hate them, as I do to, but again, most of them deserve it because they worked for it.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
Crowes
Reactions:

Post by Crowes »

ReignOnU wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:32 pm

I'm sure you realize that their metro adjusted low wage ranges from $14-$20 per hour.

Hah, nah, who am I kidding, you just posted some bullshit without understanding it again.
Good captain douche reigny and I agree $15 is a good starting point for most of the country while major metro areas need more.👍

For someone who seems to lean heavy into self promoting their intelligence as an expert economist you sure come off as a retarded circus monkey most of the time. I'm sure that's not the first time you've been told that either. :lol:
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:11 am Memorial Day week I believe the mask mandate ends here in Omaha. Cannot wait for this crap to end
June 2nd here in Ohio, even though the CDC announced what they did.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

The_Niddler wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:51 am
GeorgesGoons wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:11 am Memorial Day week I believe the mask mandate ends here in Omaha. Cannot wait for this crap to end
The CDC announcement is for vaccinated people.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Weasel wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:56 am
The_Niddler wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:51 am
The CDC announcement is for vaccinated people.
Yeah, but most employers here in Ohio are still waiting to follow the Governor and not the CDC.
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

Why would we ever think the government would get it right?

Unemployment: $365 + $300 = $665
$15 per hour x 40 hours = $600
Why would anyone want to go to work that doesn't have to right now?
Crowes
Reactions:

Post by Crowes »

The_Niddler wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:48 pm Why would we ever think the government would get it right?

Unemployment: $365 + $300 = $665
$15 per hour x 40 hours = $600
Why would anyone want to go to work that doesn't have to right now?
Go look up how many people are on unemployment in your state. If memory serves me right your in Ohio? It's not some astronomical number. It's sub 3 or 4 percent in most states. Which is about normal pre-pandemic levels.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Crowes wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:54 pm
It's sub 3 or 4 percent in most RED states. Which is about normal pre-pandemic levels.
FIFY

https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
ImageImageImage

Return to “Off Topic Forum”