COVID-19

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
Crowes
Reactions:

Re: COVID-19

Post by Crowes »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:15 pm
Crowes wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:54 pm
It's sub 3 or 4 percent in most RED states. Which is about normal pre-pandemic levels.
FIFY

https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
But that doesn't make sense does it? It's been mainly red state governors making a big deal about how no one wants to work?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Crowes wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:55 pm
It's sub 3 or 4 percent in most RED states. Which is about normal pre-pandemic levels.
FIFY

But that doesn't make sense does it? It's been mainly red state governors making a big deal about how no one wants to work?
Guess I'll keep fixing it all for you.

It's mostly red states that has been back to work for months where blue states keep everything locked down.

And as far as your comment, you do notice that most red states are getting rid of the federal plus up in unemployment benefits right?!? And those red states are complaining that jobs in the entry level positions aren't being filled because it's more beneficial to sit at home, smoke pot (no judgement Nick, I do the same) and collect a check
ImageImageImage
Crowes
Reactions:

Post by Crowes »

It wouldn't be unreasonable to think since all those "entry level" positions are usually taken by younger workers who according to conservatives are sitting at home collecting a check their unemployment rate would be abnormally high compared to past levels... But it isn't from the numbers I've been able to find.
Last edited by Crowes on Fri May 14, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

damn iunno if thats a jab at me..
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Crowes wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:46 am
ReignOnU wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:32 pm
Crowes wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:38 pm https://www.brookings.edu/research/meet ... workforce/

Maybe if we actually knew the reality of the situation we wouldnt be assuming and talking about fairly tale scenarios of how only kids in school are the one's forced to work low wage jobs.

How is it easier to believe that the overwhelming number (literally millions) of people outside school age that make up this workforce are lazy instead of they are performing a service and their labor deserves adequate compensation? 🤦
I'm sure you realize that their metro adjusted low wage ranges from $14-$20 per hour.

Hah, nah, who am I kidding, you just posted some bullshit without understanding it again.
Good captain douche reigny and I agree $15 is a good starting point for most of the country while major metro areas need more.👍

For someone who seems to lean heavy into self promoting their intelligence as an expert economist you sure come off as a retarded circus monkey most of the time. I'm sure that's not the first time you've been told that either. :lol:
So why quote an article that that includes that and up to $5 more in the lower range? Good job, good effort.
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

The_Niddler wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:16 am
Weasel wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:56 am
The_Niddler wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:51 am
GeorgesGoons wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:11 am Memorial Day week I believe the mask mandate ends here in Omaha. Cannot wait for this crap to end
June 2nd here in Ohio, even though the CDC announced what they did.
The CDC announcement is for vaccinated people.
Yeah, but most employers here in Ohio are still waiting to follow the Governor and not the CDC.

What did you see while you were out today? Generally speaking, mask adherence was down to about 75% or just under in most indoor environments. Something tells me folks are going to say F it by the end of the weekend and we'll be sub 50% around here by Monday. Pushing to about 25% by next weekend and until 6/2.
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:53 pm Hard work and determination pays off.
If that were true, then folks who work three jobs just to survive would be the wealthiest people in the world.

S14: N Texas 7-1
S15: Wake 8-5
S16-21: Washington 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, 9-4, 7-6, 6-7
S22: Ohio 8-5
S23: ECU 12-2
S24-26: Kentucky 8-5, 5-7, 5-7
Career: 102-61
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

ReignOnU wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:39 pm
jsence2 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:11 am
GeorgesGoons wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:08 pm Are we at riot level now that 2 ANTIFA members are here? Need to know if I need to cling to my gun and bible
The Bible that I own talks about a man named Jesus who preached against hoarding wealth, not helping those in need, loving those who screw up in life and need help because of their own mistakes, not listening to false prophets, turning the other cheek, etc.

Maybe instead of clinging to the Bible, some folks should open it up and read what's in it. Mainly the chapters in the New Testament.
Oh oh... we're going to quote some scripture... I call dibs on Proverbs 13:4 - "The soul of a lazy man desires, and has nothing; But the soul of the diligent shall be made rich." I can probably rip 10-15 pieces of scripture pretty quick if that's where we want to take the discussion. Funny enough, my favorite part of getting my business degree was going through the theology stuff since it was a Christian university.

You think it's just coincidence that Republicans and the Bible tend to be aligned?
Lol no it's not coincidence, it was a plan by the Republican party when Reagan came to power. The "moral right" gave them something to champion for during the Cold War.

It's amazing how the loudest Bible thumpers in Congress are usually the ones who get busted for homosexual relations, cheating on their spouses, paying for abortions, etc.

And again, you're conflating being poor with being lazy. Folks who work multiple jobs aren't lazy, yet they can still be poor. Wealthy people can never work a day in their life, they simply get born into the right family, or put their money into investments and reap the benefits. Both things can be true. But again, I'm talking about people being greedy and looking down on those without and telling them "work harder", when working harder isn't what makes you wealthy for 99.9% of people.

jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

ReignOnU wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:19 pm
nick wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:20 pm I will say... I think billionaires who sit on their money are scum. There’s a finite number of total dollars and if they hoard it then it can’t be redistributed. I’m sure most billionaires through their businesses and lifestyles are funneling a lot back into the economy so my gripe is with the few.
Joe Biden: Hold my beer

I think we're going to test this theory.

As for billionaires and usage... I don't know. I actually think that at some point, there has to be a curve down regarding how much they can circulate, even through their businesses. I'd also say you're more optimistic than I am regarding how many funnel it back through. It's sums of money I'll never be able to relate to though. They 100% have the right to earn it and do whatever they want with it. While I also think they should be giving way more back than many do, I also don't consider them a spawn of Satan and everything that's wrong with the world. It's their right to do as they wish. If it's hookers and blow, so be it. If it's giving to help charities, that's awesome. It's not up to our government to dictate how it's spent.
Again, you (and Shel) seem to be reading this as "they shouldn't be rich, they should give the money away". George reads it as "taking and giving handouts" and welfare.

I'm saying, very, very, VERY clearly:

PAY. YOUR. EMPLOYEES. WHAT. THEY. DESERVE.

Stop firing hard-working, good employees simply because you can replace them with someone off the street who makes 30% less. And this happens a LOT. I know, I've seen it at my own company since we were taken over. People were let go because they could hire someone at half the cost. People at other companies get laid off before they hit pension to save the company money.

Were they lazy? Not in a million years. Was it a smart business move in the end? No, because we lost customers due to the new people not knowing how to do their jobs and loss of a relationship. This is what labor unions help protect against--which is why many companies fight against unionization now.

For example, if you have a good a great quarter, or if you make record profits because your employees worked their asses off...reward them with deserved bonuses/raises. THAT is "paying people what they deserve", not "giving them money because Jason said they are owed it". Keep them loyal and seeing that working hard pays off (that's what I keep hearing in here!), rather than hoarding the money for your war chest. Invest the profits into new tech, perks, better insurance, etc. If you are doing those things, and you have a billion dollars Shel....nobody can really complain. But most billionaires don't do that, they do whatever they can to cut costs, cut corners, cut employees, and add more numbers to their bank balance.

jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

Weasel wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:56 am
The_Niddler wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:51 am
GeorgesGoons wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:11 am Memorial Day week I believe the mask mandate ends here in Omaha. Cannot wait for this crap to end
June 2nd here in Ohio, even though the CDC announced what they did.
The CDC announcement is for vaccinated people.
It kills me how people think that the non-vaccinated folks are going to be "oh damn, guess I gotta keep this mask on that I've complained about for a year". You can't have an honor system when the people who are against it have no honor.

Which is why when I go into a store, an enclosed area, etc, I will still be wearing my mask, because I can still GET the disease despite being vaccinated, and I can still GIVE the disease to others who aren't vaccinated, and because quite frankly I know folks who refuse to wear masks or get vaccinated.

shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

jsence2 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:22 am
GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:53 pm Hard work and determination pays off.
If that were true, then folks who work three jobs just to survive would be the wealthiest people in the world.
Cue up the "that's not how any of this works" meme.

You have a skewed, terribly out of touch with reality view of what the term "pays off" actually means in the real world.
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:04 pm
Crowes wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:55 pm
FIFY

Guess I'll keep fixing it all for you.

It's mostly red states that has been back to work for months where blue states keep everything locked down.

And as far as your comment, you do notice that most red states are getting rid of the federal plus up in unemployment benefits right?!? And those red states are complaining that jobs in the entry level positions aren't being filled because it's more beneficial to sit at home, smoke pot (no judgement Nick, I do the same) and collect a check
It's also most of the red states who take the most welfare from the national government because they can't balance their budgets and spend way more than they bring in and because they have to give money to folks below the poverty line. Let's take a look at the top ten states that depend on federal funds...

New Mexico
Alaska
Miss
ND
WV
Kentucky
Arizona
Alabama
Montana
South Carolina

Man....nine of ten... but hey, welfare and handouts are all good when they're going to folks in red states, amirite? Seems to me the people in those red states need to just....

....work harder.

jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

shel311 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:43 am
Cue up the "that's not how any of this works" meme.

You have a skewed, terribly out of touch with reality view of what the term "pays off" actually means in the real world.

I live in the real world, where I see folks who work twice as hard as others I know, make 1/3 of the money. "Hard work" doesn't pay off unless you're getting paid more for that hard work. You act like everyone who doesn't make more money simply lacks the desire or the willpower to do so, and it's so utterly misguided. "Go to a trade school" or "get another job" is so easy for someone who doesn't have to live in a reality where they can't afford someone to watch their child while they go to school, or can't miss any time at work to go interview or they'll get fired.

This is going nowhere Shel, so I'll end our discussion here. Hope you're doing well.

GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

You gotta have half a brain as well. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to pull first out every 5 minutes
ImageImageImage
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

jsence2 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:45 am
It's also most of the red states who take the most welfare from the national government because they can't balance their budgets and spend way more than they bring in and because they have to give money to folks below the poverty line. Let's take a look at the top ten states that depend on federal funds...

New Mexico
Alaska
Miss
ND
WV
Kentucky
Arizona
Alabama
Montana
South Carolina

Man....nine of ten... but hey, welfare and handouts are all good when they're going to folks in red states, amirite? Seems to me the people in those red states need to just....

....work harder.
The ten states with the highest total federal funding are:

California ($43.61 billion)
Texas ($26.90 billion)
Florida ($23.77 billion)
New York ($22.06 billion)
Virginia ($17.68 billion)
Pennsylvania ($15.58 billion)
Illinois ($13.18 billion)
Ohio ($12.57 billion)
North Carolina ($11.31 billion)
Michigan ($10.84 billion)
jsence2
Reactions:

Post by jsence2 »

ReignOnU wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:37 pm

New Mexico
Alaska
Miss
ND
WV
Kentucky
Arizona
Alabama
Montana
South Carolina

....work harder.

Texas ($26.90 billion)
Florida ($23.77 billion)
Ohio ($12.57 billion)
We are not comparing the same things. I'm talking about the amount of money a state gets from federal funding, versus how much they pay in. In other words, how dependent they are on federal funding. Or, what some would call welfare.

Also, I don't think that list is very accurate, because Kentucky pulled nearly $150B from the federal government from 2015-18.

GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

jsence2 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:41 pm
We are not comparing the same things. I'm talking about the amount of money a state gets from federal funding, versus how much they pay in. In other words, how dependent they are on federal funding. Or, what some would call welfare.

Also, I don't think that list is very accurate, because Kentucky pulled nearly $150B from the federal government from 2015-18.
So states with lower populations get more from the government than what the tax payers can pay in. That's kind of obvious don't you think?
ImageImageImage
Crowes
Reactions:

Post by Crowes »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:29 pm

So states with lower populations get more from the government than what the tax payers can pay in. That's kind of obvious don't you think?
Ummm are you playing dumber then usual here?

It should be proportional shouldn't it? Less people should equal less money is needed so if red states are as prosperous as conservative propaganda like to say they are they should be paying in more then they receive.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Crowes wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:45 pm
GeorgesGoons wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:29 pm

Ummm are you playing dumber then usual here?

It should be proportional shouldn't it? Less people should equal less money is needed so if red states are as prosperous as conservative propaganda like to say they are they should be paying in more then they receive.
No, you're just unable to see anything beyond the first level of impact, as usual. There are far more factors than just population to consider in terms of government funding (ex. land mass, infrastructure needs, business types, etc).
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

ReignOnU wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:37 pm

New Mexico
Alaska
Miss
ND
WV
Kentucky
Arizona
Alabama
Montana
South Carolina

....work harder.

Texas ($26.90 billion)
Florida ($23.77 billion)
Ohio ($12.57 billion)

You're right, we're not comparing the same things. You say you're listing "who take the most welfare from the national government," and I'm actually listing them with associated data for 2020.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”