College Football Thread

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
Whittness10
Reactions:

Re: College Football Thread

Post by Whittness10 »

When they cut ties with Charlie Weis I think they had some absurd amount of money they had to pay him just to leave.

And who are they going to try and get that would be a better pull than Kelly? That would realistically go there.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

shel311 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:49 pm
Weasel wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:45 pm Isn't ND still in the payoff discussion?
I bet Kelly just won the payoffs!
I hate you.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

DRiccio21 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:33 am i went to the ND-USC game a few weeks back. i have a client who's one of the biggest boosters at ND and he was speaking like the boosters there thought they could do better than Kelly and needed someone else to get them over top. it was absurd considering the job he's done and shocking to listen to but i wouldn't be shocked if part of it was Kelly just being done with the nonsense of those ND elite types along with all the other reasons mentioned. for the record, my guy didn't agree and loved what Kelly had done for the program. i guess they'll get their wishes now.
This is the type of delusional thinking I expect out of Michigan fans
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Cnasty wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:42 am He also seems like a major asshole but thats besides the point. :lol:
I was very close with a QB who won a National Championship with Kelly, spent a couple years in the NFL bouncing around practice squads. Said Kelly was the biggest asshole he ever played for, and it wasnt close.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Cnasty wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:42 amit's easy to cut and move on to the next guy with all the money in their pockets to throw around. Lots of regret comes with that when they hire the wrong next guy but they just move on to the next.
This one cuts deep as a Husker fan
ImageImageImage
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

def agree, that's how most people think in terms of moving on to the next

and yes, he seems like a wannabe BB clone in terms of personality.

i'm a fan of Kelly, i think he's probably a sleazy dude but he gets job done everywhere he's been. i also have a soft spot for D2 coaches who are successful and transition to higher levels and keep winning. to me thats a sign of a great coach.
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

I hope Joe Brady fucks off and takes a college job- dude sucks
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

qazhby wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:51 am I hope Joe Brady fucks off and takes a college job- dude sucks
Can we really know that when his QBs are Sam Darnold and the corpse of Cam Newton?
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

Same dude who choose teddy bridgewater to be his QB lmao

His play calling is trash
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

Weasel wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:40 am
Cnasty wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:42 am He also seems like a major asshole but thats besides the point. :lol:
I was very close with a QB who won a National Championship with Kelly, spent a couple years in the NFL bouncing around practice squads. Said Kelly was the biggest asshole he ever played for, and it wasnt close.
Like getting to second base close? Or are we talking home run close?
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

all ive read about Kelly is hes "an adult in the room" when LSU needs that type of mentorship.. but hes also a "10-2 coach, not 12-0".. so why would LSU do this when they just won a title like.. 3? years ago.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

qazhby wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:33 pm Same dude who choose teddy bridgewater to be his QB lmao
Who else was available to him?
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

nick wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:45 pm all ive read about Kelly is hes "an adult in the room" when LSU needs that type of mentorship.. but hes also a "10-2 coach, not 12-0".. so why would LSU do this when they just won a title like.. 3? years ago.
He's 45-6 the past 4 seasons. LSU was 6-6 this season, 5-5 last season.

I have no idea if it'll work or not, but going from Les Miles to Coach O, I'm confident in thinking this is the best coach LSU has had since Saban.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

LetsGoPeay wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:37 pm Like getting to second base close? Or are we talking home run close?
Brother-in-law close...third base? I cant compute
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

qazhby wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:33 pm His play calling is trash
i remember watching those LSU games when they were putting on a clinic offensively and it was literally 3 different routes they ran over and over and over and they ran to the line and looked for the read from sidelines and then Burrow made the play.

that simplistic stuff is alot tougher in the NFL.

Burrow also has football IQ of about a billion so having him helped a lot.
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

Kelly is the first ND coach to leave for another college job since 1908. Store that amazing fact away for your next trivia night at B-Dubs.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

The guy that had Lafleur and Salah shoveling snow at his house while he hosted a party, is an asshole? Who knew?
PSN: ReignOnU
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

My thoughts:

1.) Brian Kelly wins a national title within 6 years @ LSU

2.) I think a different coach CAN take ND higher than Kelly has. This is kind of complicated, because I think Kelly is an elite college coach, but the 1 area that he's struggled with is getting the elite talent in, regardless of standards/hurdles. Marcus Freeman came in and in 1 season showed that he can clear that hurdle. If Kelly had stuck around, I think ND would have been a legit title threat (not just a playoff contender due to record), for several seasons to come.

3.) I think ND has to name Freeman. I loved the hire of a local Dayton guy when he came in as DC. I love that he's buddies with Mickens. He's an amazing recruiter. I'm scared as hell that he's 35 and has never been a HC. But Swarbrick has an easy decision here, because the fans, the alumni, the former players, the current team, and the future players all want him to get the job. If he bombs, Swarbrick gets a 100% pass.

4.) Judging by how Swarbrick is handling it right now (no interim named, no outside committee, etc), and by the fact that Marcus Freeman was at a recruits house yesterday when the news broke, I don't think there's a shot at Freeman to LSU.

5.) I've got a hunch that Kelly knew this was his last season for awhile. Freeman was hyped as the heir-apparent when he was brought in this year. I think Kelly didn't like that at all and this is his way of exiting on his terms. (Kelly has a huge ego, for better or worse... I saw what he did when left CMU for Cincy, then Cincy for ND)

6.) Ultimately, I don't have any issue with Kelly, though I wish he'd have waited until next week (LSU put him on a deadline apparently). When he left CMU, it was in better shape than it had ever been. When he left UC, he had new facilities put in, upgraded Nippert Stadium and set the foundation with ties to the local parochial schools and powerhouses (read up on Kerry Coombs movements). Then he walked into ND and gave us a decade of high quality football. Don't regret any of it. Just ready for the next and praying it's Freeman (right or wrong).
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Assuming you're talking about Dan LeFevour. My boss from '09-'17 was Nick Bellore's dad, so I've heard a little bit about CMU from that time. Nick came in a year or 2 later than Dan I think, right as Kelly was leaving.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

ReignOnU wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:09 pm 1.) Brian Kelly wins a national title within 6 years @ LSU

Return to “Off Topic Forum”