Random Discussions

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Re: Random Discussions

Post by GeorgesGoons »

ajalves wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:56 pm
GeorgesGoons wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:31 pm
Cnasty wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:25 pm Might belong in the Not so Newsworthy, might be Politics thread but it for sure is a random type headline!

Crazy title that has to have so much more behind it that i can’t process right now. Honestly has probably been done before but it’s Biden’s turn.

“ Why the Biden Admin Is Handing Out Free Crack Pipes”

WASHINGTON (WTVO) — To limit infections among drug users, the Biden administration is creating a $30 million grant program for non-profits to buy crack pipes and other drug paraphernalia for addicts.
Here is where I step away from the Republican rhetoric regarding this.

I don't mind this at all, with some stipulations. They should definitely have drug counselors, medical and security at these locations. You get a free crack pipe (or whatever else they are handing out) if you go thru a class to help you kick the addiction. If this is the only way to get addicts "in the door" for possible help and to put them on a path of recovery I am all for it.
man, i am all for people recovering/getting help/ etc etc etc....but where does it ennnnnd?
Beats me if it ever ends. But at least it's an "out of the box" approach to possibly reaching a couple of people. Sunday we had 4 over-doses from fentanyl laced cocaine at an apartment next to UNO, 2 died. Monday we had another 2 OD's, 1 in a motel and one at a homeless shelter.
ImageImageImage
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

ajalves wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:56 pm
GeorgesGoons wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:31 pm
Cnasty wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:25 pm Might belong in the Not so Newsworthy, might be Politics thread but it for sure is a random type headline!

Crazy title that has to have so much more behind it that i can’t process right now. Honestly has probably been done before but it’s Biden’s turn.

“ Why the Biden Admin Is Handing Out Free Crack Pipes”

WASHINGTON (WTVO) — To limit infections among drug users, the Biden administration is creating a $30 million grant program for non-profits to buy crack pipes and other drug paraphernalia for addicts.
Here is where I step away from the Republican rhetoric regarding this.

I don't mind this at all, with some stipulations. They should definitely have drug counselors, medical and security at these locations. You get a free crack pipe (or whatever else they are handing out) if you go thru a class to help you kick the addiction. If this is the only way to get addicts "in the door" for possible help and to put them on a path of recovery I am all for it.
man, i am all for people recovering/getting help/ etc etc etc....but where does it ennnnnd?

Usually with an overdose.
PSN: ReignOnU
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Want to feel old?
Spoiler!
This happened 32 years ago today

ImageImageImage
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

All Americans urged out of Ukraine with possible attack imminent that could happen within a week.

That message sounded very different today.

Stay safe billy and thinking of y’all!
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Thanks buddy. Looking like a couple days of high tension coming up but hopefully things blow over. Definitely more pessimistic today as even the Ukrainian politicians have sounded more bleak today when they have mostly preached to stay calm.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

Russian diplomatic and consular staff reportedly begin leaving Ukraine

not good.
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Got chills watching this.
Incredible moment at an incredible venue.

https://twitter.com/samrydersu/status/1 ... 18945?s=21
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

So awesome
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Holy shit...
Ukraine president says he's been told Russia will attack Wednesday

“We are told that February 16 will be the day of the attack,” Volodymyr Zelenskyy said in a statement.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

The internet is undefeated:
“so, to be clear, we are putting war’s on outlook now???”
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

"The last time Russia invaded and took Crimea was during the Winter Olympics...during a weak democratic presidency."
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

this is amazing if you wanna see Russia fall as a country.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

it would be funny to call it a "weak democratic president" when Trump was buddies with Putin and giving away American secrets
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

nick wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:56 am it would be funny to call it a "weak democratic president" when Trump was buddies with Putin and giving away American secrets
Joffe, is that you?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:09 pm So something odd just got proposed to me today.

I was asked to be a substitute teacher for the JROTC program at my old high school. This was something I looked into when I retired but there were no open positions in the Omaha area during that time so I moved on to contractor work instead. According to Bama, the pay is a hell of a lot more than what subs get in Tennessee ($185 a day).
Went in today to "shadow" the instructor for half a day. Pretty interesting to say the least. This is the same school I graduated from back in '94 and the demographics have changed dramatically since I was there. According to the principal it is now 70% hispanic (was around 15-20% back when I went thru and another 10-15% black), while most of the kids come from below poverty level households (probably around 40% when I went there). The principal asked how I would be able to connect with the kids nowadays compared to when I was there. To me that is the easiest part.... I grew up below the poverty level, I was in group homes and in Boys Town (before getting kicked out for being a knucklehead), and I graduated from that school. Connecting with them would be easy for me (at least that's how I think it would go). I completely enjoying trying to shape young men and women into productive members in our society.

I think the problems I saw today are more instructor related than kid related. Today was a PT day and the instructor sent the kids around the school for 2 laps and then did some medicine ball training. This all lasted for about 30-45 minutes. Class is roughly 1:30 long, and the kids just hung out for the rest with zero instruction. I felt like he was there just to check boxes without trying to fully engage the kids while collecting a nice paycheck. He told me he is in the top 5% of all teachers/administrators at the school and he's only been doing this for 4 years. Knowing his rank and having a slight idea of how the pay structure goes for JROTC instructors goes, he's making close to $8k a month without any of the added duties that he can pick up (sports coach..etc).

I am going to go in again next week on one of his non-PT days to see how class goes for that. I'd love to see some actual instruction just to see what the day looks like. I talked with some of the kids today and there was a ho-hum response regarding the military from 1 kid and the other 8 Juniors were there just for the elective. The second class was sophomores and there were 4 of the 17 or so that said they wanted to join the military when graduating.

We will see how it goes when I sit in next week. I'll probably do some substitute work before trying to go all in to make sure it's a good fit for me, the kids and the school.
ImageImageImage
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

Are you doing this on top of cleaning trucks?
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

dakshdar wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:33 pm Are you doing this on top of cleaning trucks?
Correct. I won't give up my job cleaning trucks. Today was just a sit in, if it works out and it's something that interests me I'll just keep the contracts I have and not look to expand.
ImageImageImage
qazhby
Reactions:

Post by qazhby »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:30 pm
GeorgesGoons wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:09 pm So something odd just got proposed to me today.

I was asked to be a substitute teacher for the JROTC program at my old high school. This was something I looked into when I retired but there were no open positions in the Omaha area during that time so I moved on to contractor work instead. According to Bama, the pay is a hell of a lot more than what subs get in Tennessee ($185 a day).
Went in today to "shadow" the instructor for half a day. Pretty interesting to say the least. This is the same school I graduated from back in '94 and the demographics have changed dramatically since I was there. According to the principal it is now 70% hispanic (was around 15-20% back when I went thru and another 10-15% black), while most of the kids come from below poverty level households (probably around 40% when I went there). The principal asked how I would be able to connect with the kids nowadays compared to when I was there. To me that is the easiest part.... I grew up below the poverty level, I was in group homes and in Boys Town (before getting kicked out for being a knucklehead), and I graduated from that school. Connecting with them would be easy for me (at least that's how I think it would go). I completely enjoying trying to shape young men and women into productive members in our society.

I think the problems I saw today are more instructor related than kid related. Today was a PT day and the instructor sent the kids around the school for 2 laps and then did some medicine ball training. This all lasted for about 30-45 minutes. Class is roughly 1:30 long, and the kids just hung out for the rest with zero instruction. I felt like he was there just to check boxes without trying to fully engage the kids while collecting a nice paycheck. He told me he is in the top 5% of all teachers/administrators at the school and he's only been doing this for 4 years. Knowing his rank and having a slight idea of how the pay structure goes for JROTC instructors goes, he's making close to $8k a month without any of the added duties that he can pick up (sports coach..etc).

I am going to go in again next week on one of his non-PT days to see how class goes for that. I'd love to see some actual instruction just to see what the day looks like. I talked with some of the kids today and there was a ho-hum response regarding the military from 1 kid and the other 8 Juniors were there just for the elective. The second class was sophomores and there were 4 of the 17 or so that said they wanted to join the military when graduating.

We will see how it goes when I sit in next week. I'll probably do some substitute work before trying to go all in to make sure it's a good fit for me, the kids and the school.
Whip them boys in to shape there is a war coming
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

George in a classroom...is this the Bizarro world?

good luck man. in low income schools, many times, the parenting these kids get is scarce.

its a different time

just remember those kids dont come from the same world as yours

I'm sure you'll do fine

Return to “Off Topic Forum”