Ray Guy Award

Get the latest news and NDL related articles by our talented group of writers.
JohnnyP
Reactions:

Re: Ray Guy Award

Post by JohnnyP »

Back on the oringinal post, Sina and I, one of our good friends use to date Kovondas sister. Pretty cool I guess
WooPigSooie316
Reactions:

Post by WooPigSooie316 »

JohnnyP wrote:Back on the oringinal post, Sina and I, one of our good friends use to date Kovondas sister. Pretty cool I guess
I'll take that as a vote for Kovanda. :D
Dcane7
Reactions:

Post by Dcane7 »

Whittness10 wrote:
buckeye76 wrote:
WooPigSooie316 wrote:
shel311 wrote:
bearass wrote:I don't do line drive punts. I kick the ball out of bounds normal punt style.

Also lame :)
With a punter in the conversation, I don't find what bearass claims as laim. If it's a normal punt and he's coffin cornering it, then I tip my hat.

Agreed. Never seen Bearass line drive a punt. (And for the record I agree with AJ, hate seeing the line drive punts. With that said, I did see it this Season. I damn near returned the punt too. :) Six makes a good point too. And Whit, your trying to bring real life punting into the video world. I see what your saying real life, but video game wise we all agree.

Just my two cents.
Yeah I understand that, and i'm not trying to defend it like I do it all the time, but if the game didn't want you to do it they wouldn't let you even have the option to take that little arrow and put it as low as it goes. But I guess thats the same as those plays that are banned in the NDL for taking advantage of the AI, they are there but are banned for that reason. So actually I just un-validated my own point. Carry on... :(
Not a lot of us use weather and just like with FG's you get more distance when you change the trajectory of the kick for a FG the same rules apply for the punt. The only time I could see it being okay to do a line or lower the arrow during a punt is if you were playing in weather and the wind was extremely high to the point where you had to just get the ball 20 yards down the field instead of it almost blowing back in your face but again. I haven't seen it. All the guys I've played I don't remember using weather.

But on a side note I have a question or wondering what's peoples thoughts on punting on 4th inside the your opponents 30 or red zone? I have on a number of occasions done something similar and it wasn't to inflate my stats but it was no point in my scoring a TD or FG at that point even if I still have room to score. Is it wrong or looked down upon to do so? I personally wouldn't be mad about it but just want to know what some others feelings are on the subject. Since we are talking about punters lol
BFiVL
Reactions:

Post by BFiVL »

If there was a formation for punting called rugby style then no it would not be cheese. Since there is not and couple that with the elimination of no double punt return formation, line drive punts are cheese to me. Guys who can effectively hit line drive punts should avg 60 yards a punt and almost every punt should be I20.
WooPigSooie316
Reactions:

Post by WooPigSooie316 »

Dcane7 wrote: Not a lot of us use weather and just like with FG's you get more distance when you change the trajectory of the kick for a FG the same rules apply for the punt. The only time I could see it being okay to do a line or lower the arrow during a punt is if you were playing in weather and the wind was extremely high to the point where you had to just get the ball 20 yards down the field instead of it almost blowing back in your face but again. I haven't seen it. All the guys I've played I don't remember using weather.

But on a side note I have a question or wondering what's peoples thoughts on punting on 4th inside the your opponents 30 or red zone? I have on a number of occasions done something similar and it wasn't to inflate my stats but it was no point in my scoring a TD or FG at that point even if I still have room to score. Is it wrong or looked down upon to do so? I personally wouldn't be mad about it but just want to know what some others feelings are on the subject. Since we are talking about punters lol
I think you kick the FG if you have points to play with. Keeps the integrity of the game and if you miss your opponent gets a better spot on the ball.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Dcane7 wrote:But on a side note I have a question or wondering what's peoples thoughts on punting on 4th inside the your opponents 30 or red zone?
I would never ever ever ever punt inside my opponent's 30 yard line under any circumstance.

Even if i'm up big and it's the 4th quarter or whatever, I just go for it on 4th down, call a run and dive down, give my opponent the ball near the line of scrimmage.

But regular game situations, there is no reason to ever punt the ball inside the 30 IMO.
Dcane7
Reactions:

Post by Dcane7 »

shel311 wrote:
Dcane7 wrote:But on a side note I have a question or wondering what's peoples thoughts on punting on 4th inside the your opponents 30 or red zone?
I would never ever ever ever punt inside my opponent's 30 yard line under any circumstance.

Even if i'm up big and it's the 4th quarter or whatever, I just go for it on 4th down, call a run and dive down, give my opponent the ball near the line of scrimmage.

But regular game situations, there is no reason to ever punt the ball inside the 30 IMO.
I just always thought it would be best to give it to them at the 20 instead of inside the redzone where you could possibly get a coverage sack in a worst case scenario putting you up more then 35 or something like that. But I do see your point. Just thought to give my opponent better position on the field as of that point. But like I said I see your point as well.
tball275
Reactions:

Post by tball275 »

ajalves wrote:
Whittness10 wrote:I don't care how you kick it... 16 Inside 20 and 0 TB is pretty impressive.

no offense but i couldnt disagree more. line drive punts are bush league
I agree with aj's assessment. I looked at the stats for this season: 22 TDs off punt returns and 27 TDs off kick returns. If you are using the logic that you are worried about return TDs off punts, then you should be squib kicking every time on kickoffs. I also agree with biffy, it's cheese. There's a reason you are doing it. I even had a situation where someone punted line drives and it ricocheted off my cornerback, who was still going backwards to set up a return. It's obvious what the point of the line drive was in this situation. I think it's taking advantage of the situation and availability of this option in the game.

On to the rugby argument: most rugby-style punters either still get good air under their punts (for pooch-punt situations), or they don't and it ends up being an end-over-end ball that is bouncing off the turf for 40-50 yards. I have yet to see a rugby punter who rolls out and rockets a line drive 60-70 yards.

Return to “NDL:ESPN”