Socom Reviews

This is the place for all Shooting games played in the NDL.
Hoos
Site Admin
Reactions:

Socom Reviews

Post by Hoos »

Please post your Socom reviews here.
tball275
Reactions:

Re: Socom Reviews

Post by tball275 »

Download takes about 20-30 min.

First thing you can do when you install is customize your guy... face type, voice type, facial hair, armor, hats, face paint, color of camo and weapons.... make sure to customize both your commando and mercenary player. You can only change weapons after you die in-game (of course), but you can't change your player type.

How much armor you put on definitely makes a difference how fast your guy moves....

The server is a little slow... I had sound at first, but none now. (I have sound back)

L2 is the mic
Circle is your grenades
R2 is sprint (seems unlimited)
Triangle is change positions (standing, crouch, prone)
L1 is change weapons
R1 is shoot
R3 is reload
L3 is your knife (like COD)
Use the D-pad (pressing up) to zoom in

It does have the feel of S2, especially in the shooting. It does take forever to get in and out of games. You sit at a screen that looks like it is loading. Looks like right now the only rooms available are respawn and breach rooms. Some jackasses are already finding out how to get on top of higher structures and just sit there all round.

The large map of Crossroads has a couple of areas added (obviously). The first one is up where the Terrorists would plant the bomb. It goes all the way behind to the right of that and meets up in the alley on the right side by the fish market. The second area is where the terrorists (aka mercenaries) now spawn. It is behind the bomb house and meets up in the alley on the right side of the map.

No idea how people will like it, but if an opponent is in sight or near, your gun goes hot... otherwise it stays down in front of you, unless you are zooming in.

Crossroads is the only map.

Shooting - gone are the days of automatic shooting... you can, but the guns really kick. Shooting in 3-round bursts help.
BIGmike
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by BIGmike »

Only played for about 20 mins, but boy it sure brought back memories. I even hid in Quarles old hiding spot on Crossroads for about 5 mins for shits and giggles and shot people dead from the darkness just like that cock sucker did. :lol: I also went John Elway, threw a grenade over a wall from about 50-60 yards away up a flight of stairs and bam! DEAD. This game has the potential to be awesome; plus there are no open mics so it's like the good old days when you had to press a button to talk. I know it's an early impression, but I think this has all the makings of a SOCOM II lovefest. :shock: :o :D
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Great news from an old SOCOMer.

Ive had an itch to play again since I traded in COD and this might fit the void nicely.

With RB2 and now this,NCAA will be back on the shelf for the 2nd half of the year like 2007. :lol:
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Cnasty wrote:With RB2 and now this,NCAA will be back on the shelf for the 2nd half of the year like 2007. :lol:
He's taken the fall hard for the shooter games. :lol:
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Nah, never got into any of the other ones besides COD.

I was addicted with the NDL crew with COD and heard nothing but good things about the old SOCOM so Im gonna give it a try. With a SOCOM vet like Mike saying it sounds good, Im pumped for this. If its as addicting as COD was for me, my NCAA will suffer another Oregon season. :lol:
Hoos
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Hoos »

Good news so far! I didn't get to play tonight but will certainly be on tomorrow.
Hoos
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Hoos »

shel311 wrote:
Cnasty wrote:With RB2 and now this,NCAA will be back on the shelf for the 2nd half of the year like 2007. :lol:
He's taken the fall hard for the shooter games. :lol:
Shel, this beta would be a good time for you to man the fuck up! :lol:
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

I have heard that when the full game releases it will be available as either a blu-ray purchase disc or as a straight download for the full version from the PSN.

I'm curious if that means it will be somewhat limited in terms of scope and size. The games on disc are likely up to the 25 gb smaller blu-ray size, but I can't imagine the download being anywhere near that or it'd take people a week with the way the PSN speeds are.

So are they dumbing this down in some ways, or is the game a smaller-ish game like the Gran Turismo "enhanced" demo sort of thing?
Hoos
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Hoos »

dakshdar wrote:So are they dumbing this down in some ways, or is the game a smaller-ish game like the Gran Turismo "enhanced" demo sort of thing?
I ordered the disk to completely avoid the nightmare that will be downloading this game along with 100K other people. No thanks.

There is no offline content for Socom so that cuts down on its size. I think Warhawk was the same way with no offline and available by download.

I believe that somewhere down the road, when the tech is ready, every game will be only available by download. There are a lot of funds to be redistributed to marketing and other areas when you don’t have to pay for packaging and distribution.
Cunit879
Reactions:

Post by Cunit879 »

Also,Similar o warhawk, Its gonna be $60 in stores with a headset valued at $50 and it will be the offical Playstation headset.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Since I shut it down after my 64th "Initialization to the Network Failed" message, Id have to go with this game sucks. :lol:
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

Well I got to play about two minutes last night before it locked up. I wasn't too impressed with those two minutes. I'm still willing to give it a chance, but right now I have a hard time seeing myself play this more than COD.
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

Not sure how much ill mess with this BETA, but ill rent the game when it drops and see how many NDL guys play. Seemed quite PS2ish to me. Seemed hard to move around. the map was HUGE. I am not looking for small, but i am also not interested in running looking for guys for 15 minutes either.

Not sure why they would release the BETA to so many people

Going to reconfigure the buttons now that i know i can, and give it another try ....maybe tonight after my NDL game
BIGmike
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by BIGmike »

SOCOMs graphics have always sucked, it's the game play that makes it awesome. This game plays exactly like the SOCOM II, so if you hate the way this game plays, chances are you would have hated SOCOM II. :cry:
Coach KO
Reactions:

Post by Coach KO »

How can anyone hate Socom I or II. Well the only reason why I stopped playing those games was that after 4years, everyone is trying to glitch. Granted Socom 3 wasnt terrible. It just wanst up to par.

Still havent played the Beta and remember, thats all it is. a BETA. testing ground. You guys are just human test subjects.

Also, im willing to be a human test subject if anyone has an extra code that they didnt give to someone yet.
tball275
Reactions:

Post by tball275 »

BIGmike wrote:SOCOMs graphics have always sucked, it's the game play that makes it awesome. This game plays exactly like the SOCOM II, so if you hate the way this game plays, chances are you would have hated SOCOM II. :cry:
So glad to hear someone else say it! This game is a lot of fun. It reminds me so much of SOCOM II. I can't wait for the full release with the entire map list.
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

can you switch to 1st person? or are you locked into 3rd?
Hoos
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Hoos »

ajalves wrote:can you switch to 1st person? or are you locked into 3rd?
No, you can switch between 3rd person and OTS.
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

Hoos wrote:
ajalves wrote:can you switch to 1st person? or are you locked into 3rd?
No, you can switch between 3rd person and OTS.
OTS?

Return to “Shooters”