NDL Commissioner

Out of the Park Baseball League

Moderators: Cnasty, Ry, nick

nick
Reactions:

Re: NDL Commissioner

Post by nick »

r we playing this random dude to sim? Cant see him just simming out the kindness of his own heart. and then if thats the case, do we pay people who commished before?
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

nick wrote:r we playing this random dude to sim? Cant see him just simming out the kindness of his own heart. and then if thats the case, do we pay people who commished before?
We don't pay anyone now.

I'd guess he may become an owner as well as a commish, in which case he would be interested. Maybe not though.

The only money that changes hands is to cover the hosting fee each year when we all chip in
ImageImageImageImage
frozenrope
Reactions:

Post by frozenrope »

nick wrote:r we playing this random dude to sim? Cant see him just simming out the kindness of his own heart. and then if thats the case, do we pay people who commished before?
Nick,
This is not just some random dude, I have known Bill for a long while now, we met through the OOTP community some years ago, and he is one of the most knowledgeable OOTP minds that I know, and no we would not be paying him to sim. Bill is one of my best OOTP friends and a man of integrity, he is retired and doesn't have a lot of the time issues that some of you younger guys have. This is just another option I present to the NDL since JD is stepping down. I personally don't think that a group of 3/4 guys running sims is a good idea..You run into many file issues doing this, it could potentially become very problematic.

AIM:RDon1907
Dallas GM
Seeitsaveit13
Reactions:

Post by Seeitsaveit13 »

frozenrope wrote:
Nick,
This is not just some random dude, I have known Bill for a long while now, we met through the OOTP community some years ago, and he is one of the most knowledgeable OOTP minds that I know, and no we would not be paying him to sim. Bill is one of my best OOTP friends and a man of integrity, he is retired and doesn't have a lot of the time issues that some of you younger guys have. This is just another option I present to the NDL since JD is stepping down. I personally don't think that a group of 3/4 guys running sims is a good idea..You run into many file issues doing this, it could potentially become very problematic.
I'm on board the Bill train assuming we can answer his league specific questions (which I'm sure between Mike and JD we can).
ImageImageImageImage
BlackRain
Reactions:

Post by BlackRain »

Congratulations JD! Awesome! hate to see you go, but understandable.
ACTIVISION ACCOUNT NAME - CROSS GEN.- XBOX - (RONIN-BLACKRAIN)
cougnix
Reactions:

Post by cougnix »

BlackRain wrote:Congratulations JD! Awesome! hate to see you go, but understandable.
Oh, he ain't going nowhere!
ImageImage

PSN: Cougnix
ajalves
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by ajalves »

curious what questions he needs answered
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

He makes it sound like a Walking Dead type Governor character.

Stipulations, and questions, and certain requirements!
kdog36
Reactions:

Post by kdog36 »

frozenrope wrote:hey first and foremost congrats JD, and enjoy them while they are young, they grow up fast, my kids are out of college, though it seems like yesterday when we were young parents, congratulations.
Now to the commish thing, I always hate to see commissioners leave, sometimes the transition afterwards doesn't go smoothly and the league gets in trouble. I don't think this is the case here, as I've seen in my short time, a great core of GM's who are active and competitive. I have friend, named BIll who has been commishing OOTP leagues for a long time, and I called him today to ask him if he'd possibly be interested in taking over our league, he currently commishes 2 leagues, he is very experienced at it and his response to me about the NDL was positive. He does have some legitimate questions about how the league is run etc. I know for a fact that he sims early in the morning between 5-7 am eastern time. This is another option we have here in the NDL if we can not replace JD from within..

RD
Would be sim and not have a team or would be operate a team
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

frozenrope wrote:
Nick,
I think NIck was just questioning why he'd only want to come into our league to sim only, seems like there's nothing in it for him, right?

If he'd take over a team as well, then that would make sense.
BlackRain
Reactions:

Post by BlackRain »

cougnix wrote:
BlackRain wrote:Congratulations JD! Awesome! hate to see you go, but understandable.
Oh, he ain't going nowhere!
Let me rephrase that, "Hate for you to step down from commissioner".... Sounds better! :D
ACTIVISION ACCOUNT NAME - CROSS GEN.- XBOX - (RONIN-BLACKRAIN)
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

I've replied to a good internal option and I've sent Bill an email offering to answer any questions he has.

Personally I'd prefer to stay internal, as Bill doesn't use AIM very often and doesn't have the history in the league (NDL is bouquet of special flowers).

Assuming JD agrees and our internal option is 100% on-board, I'd recommend moving on it ASAP so we can do some sims throughout the end of the season when it's kind of dead and that would create a much better understanding for doing a rollover walkthrough.
PSN: ReignOnU
frozenrope
Reactions:

Post by frozenrope »

Seeitsaveit13 wrote:
We don't pay anyone now.

I'd guess he may become an owner as well as a commish, in which case he would be interested. Maybe not though.

The only money that changes hands is to cover the hosting fee each year when we all chip in
This is correct

Dallas GM
frozenrope
Reactions:

Post by frozenrope »

ReignOnU wrote:I've replied to a good internal option and I've sent Bill an email offering to answer any questions he has.

Personally I'd prefer to stay internal, as Bill doesn't use AIM very often and doesn't have the history in the league (NDL is bouquet of special flowers).

Assuming JD agrees and our internal option is 100% on-board, I'd recommend moving on it ASAP so we can do some sims throughout the end of the season when it's kind of dead and that would create a much better understanding for doing a rollover walkthrough.
This ideally would be the better option

Dallas GM
frozenrope
Reactions:

Post by frozenrope »

shel311 wrote:
frozenrope wrote:
Nick,
I think NIck was just questioning why he'd only want to come into our league to sim only, seems like there's nothing in it for him, right?

If he'd take over a team as well, then that would make sense.
And yes he probably would take a team when one opens up.

Dallas GM
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

nick wrote:i have class in the AM so if it was me I'd just wake up 30 mins earlier and deal with it.

It is funny to me that you think 30 minutes is all it takes.
On most mornings, this is true, but on draft day, all-star results, etc. An hour minimum and can be an hour and a half to 2 hours.
PSN: The_Niddler
TWITCH: The_Niddler
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

how many sims a year are draft day and all star result day.. 2? so its typically 30 mins lol. Dunno whats so funny about that
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

And no offense to Bill, I told frozen when he asked me about this, that I know the NDL would struggle with an outside source.
If we have an internal, I am all for that option first and I would recommend Bill join the NDL and play in OOTP with us.
Get to know us and can be a great resource if he is so knowledgeable.

Then down the road, when the time comes that we need the next one, he can step in.
And I am not being negative about needing the next one. Everyone needs a break after so long.
Uuaww
Reactions:

Post by Uuaww »

And we have a waiting list now!!!!
The_Niddler
Reactions:

Post by The_Niddler »

nick wrote:how many sims a year are draft day and all star result day.. 2? so its typically 30 mins lol. Dunno whats so funny about that
This is precisely why, no offense, but I don't think someone like you is a good fit.
Whoever wants to be a commissioner has to understand that it is not run the sim and boom, done for the day.
If it were as simple as 30 minutes per day, I would continue doing it with no issues.

There are days where you spend, literally hours online researching things on ootp forums.
As you stated, they are not often, but they do happen.
There are a few sims a year that require extra time to complete.

Again, not trying to scare anyone away, but I want the next person to step in and fully understand what it takes to keep this league up and running.

Return to “Old OOTP Baseball”