Random Discussions

Come one, come all. Talk about anything not league or video game football related here.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Re: Random Discussions

Post by Cnasty »

Weasel wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:33 pm You have to have a particular rx and condition for LASIK, Ive always wanted to get it but have an astigmatism which makes me a less than ideal candidate.

Downside of LASIK: Youll likely need readers, and may be dependent on eye drops afterwards for the dry eye
Yea I am a candidate my eye doc said as I have a pretty consistent RX. I do have a change happening where I can’t see up close as well as I used to so you are definitely right about readers.

#oldproblems
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

Readers only help so much. I used to be able to see hair on a gnats ass, wether 100' away or on my nose. Now I can't see shit close up anymore unless I turn my flashlight on my phone. Older age sucks
ImageImageImage
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

the good thing about being anti flying is i dont gotta worry about colliding with another plane in the sky.
LetsGoPeay
Reactions:

Post by LetsGoPeay »

nick wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:41 pm the good thing about being anti flying is i dont gotta worry about colliding with another plane in the sky.
Are you anti-driving too because you know…. Statistics?
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

LetsGoPeay wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:01 am
nick wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:41 pm the good thing about being anti flying is i dont gotta worry about colliding with another plane in the sky.
Are you anti-driving too because you know…. Statistics?
I dont drive either.
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

getting older sucks! that means parents get older as well! The wife's mom and her husband has been in the hospital for over 2 weeks and now they get to move in with us for at least a week. I think I am going on a vacation for a week, anyone want to host me? I wish Billy was still in Ukraine and I'd rather go out and be there with him than host in-laws
ImageImageImage
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

My MIL has been dropping hints that she would like to eventually live with us. I dont wanna say its a hard no, but its damn close.
Cnasty
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by Cnasty »

Hard pass!
wdoupis
Reactions:

Post by wdoupis »

Imagine evacuating a war with your in-laws and being stuck in Latvia with them for 5 weeks. I should have stayed and fought the Russians.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

wdoupis wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:41 pm Imagine evacuating a war with your in-laws and being stuck in Latvia with them for 5 weeks. I should have stayed and fought the Russians.
I talk to Billy daily, usually all day long lol. Every time I've complained about something... anything... over these last few weeks to him I always stop and think, "could be worse, I could be Billy right now"
dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

We're in escrow on a house because my wife wants to live on the other side of town (a few miles away). Stupid expensive housing market and I'm a big grouch with this process because I don't want to give up our low interest rate and the house we've been slowly making exactly the way we want it for the last 7 years.

Anyway, inspection turns up god-awful leak in the master bathroom shower. Wall between the shower and closet is internally saturated. Drywall, support flooring, baseboard, floor joists, wall framing, sill plate - you name it and everything around this tub/shower needs to come out. Also, active mold growth requiring professional mold remediation. They can't give an exact quote for the repairs because it is the kind of thing that you can't even see the entire extent until you start ripping stuff out. At least $7k for the mold remediation/demo work and then whatever it takes to put it all back together. I'm estimating $15k-20k.

The sellers don't want to bother with it, don't want to get it done while they're still there, and just want to credit the estimate into escrow and let us handle it later (so maybe $15k credit in closing costs).

My gut is telling me hard to bail unless they get this all done before we close... and even then I'm not sure if this kind of thing can re-occur even if the immediate cause is handled (can they miss some and it starts actively growing again - or maybe that's hard without a continued source of a leak which would be fixed in all this). There's also evidence that house upgrades/remodeling over time may not have been done right every time. Example, they converted the attached garage into an extra living room and built a detached garage. The new garage didn't have proper sealing around roof penetrations and electrical boxes, causing moisture to get in. The roof area is just a little wood damage and is an easy fix to properly seal and install flashing. But there's mold in the drywall in the garage due to the main electrical box in the one area (so that has to get fixed as well).

Anyway, buying a house sucks.
nick
Reactions:

Post by nick »

I would love to buy a house but houses are 1-2M in Toronto and I dont make that much money.. so ya.. My buddy just grabbed a place in the outskirt of Toronto for 1.4m... dunno how hes gonna pay for it but hey
ReignOnU
Reactions:

Post by ReignOnU »

dakshdar wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:41 pm We're in escrow on a house because my wife wants to live on the other side of town (a few miles away). Stupid expensive housing market and I'm a big grouch with this process because I don't want to give up our low interest rate and the house we've been slowly making exactly the way we want it for the last 7 years.

Anyway, inspection turns up god-awful leak in the master bathroom shower. Wall between the shower and closet is internally saturated. Drywall, support flooring, baseboard, floor joists, wall framing, sill plate - you name it and everything around this tub/shower needs to come out. Also, active mold growth requiring professional mold remediation. They can't give an exact quote for the repairs because it is the kind of thing that you can't even see the entire extent until you start ripping stuff out. At least $7k for the mold remediation/demo work and then whatever it takes to put it all back together. I'm estimating $15k-20k.

The sellers don't want to bother with it, don't want to get it done while they're still there, and just want to credit the estimate into escrow and let us handle it later (so maybe $15k credit in closing costs).

My gut is telling me hard to bail unless they get this all done before we close... and even then I'm not sure if this kind of thing can re-occur even if the immediate cause is handled (can they miss some and it starts actively growing again - or maybe that's hard without a continued source of a leak which would be fixed in all this). There's also evidence that house upgrades/remodeling over time may not have been done right every time. Example, they converted the attached garage into an extra living room and built a detached garage. The new garage didn't have proper sealing around roof penetrations and electrical boxes, causing moisture to get in. The roof area is just a little wood damage and is an easy fix to properly seal and install flashing. But there's mold in the drywall in the garage due to the main electrical box in the one area (so that has to get fixed as well).

Anyway, buying a house sucks.

Zero chance I'd engage in the deal unless it's fully resolved or they cover well beyond the cost of an initial estimate. The potential risk that you're enduring there isn't remotely worth it.

If you're seeing that many signs of things that were half-assed in other areas, you can bet that there's a few thousand dollars more laying around that the inspector didn't catch. Run like it's haunted... because it is!
PSN: ReignOnU
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

exactly what Reign said! Once you start pulling drywall and subflooring you will never know what is exactly wrong with it. I'd run and count this as your sign to stay in the home you have now until the market crashes and you can get that same house for $30-$50k cheaper.
ImageImageImage
Whittness10
Reactions:

Post by Whittness10 »

Water damage is the worst. All that mold is a no-go for me. I'd bail out on that in a heartbeat. Only way I'd consider it is if the owners had it all taken care of and then it passed inspection again. That's probably why they are trying to sell it because they don't want the hassle of fixing all of that.
Weasel
Reactions:

Post by Weasel »

Agree with others, Id nope on out of there
plasma1896
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by plasma1896 »

this should be you Dak. water is the worst, and until you pull that wall out, you wont know the $ amount.

dakshdar
Reactions:

Post by dakshdar »

So we're adjusting our offer with the following terms:

1. Seller completes mold remediation work prior to close of escrow.
2. Seller provides $7500 credit to buyer's closing costs to cover the cost of post-remediation repairs (putting everything back together) and roof repair (roofer had $500 of things he said had to be done). Credit value to be reviewed upon final remediation results (if the remediation work ends up being more extensive, credit would be increased)
3. Escrow hold-back of ~$5-10k (realtor is working this out) to cover uncertain costs - released to seller after repair work is completed (post close of escrow)
GeorgesGoons
Reactions:

Post by GeorgesGoons »

GeorgesGoons wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:10 pm getting older sucks! that means parents get older as well! The wife's mom and her husband has been in the hospital for over 2 weeks and now they get to move in with us for at least a week. I think I am going on a vacation for a week, anyone want to host me? I wish Billy was still in Ukraine and I'd rather go out and be there with him than host in-laws
I told the wife that murder suicide wasn't off the table if they are here for more than a week. It's been 5 days now and it's absolutely horrible. Her mom asked if I was ready to get rid of them yet.....DUH!
ImageImageImage
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

Here’s an idea, try to suck it up and be nice and patient and empathetic for a day and see if we can avoid any murder suicides

Return to “Off Topic Forum”