NDL Spotlight: #3 Clemson @ #1 Va Tech

Get the latest news and NDL related articles by our talented group of writers.
Twistanutz22
Reactions:

NDL Spotlight: #3 Clemson @ #1 Va Tech

Post by Twistanutz22 »

The Game of the Year

The biggest matchup of Season 26 was circled on the schedule the minute BIGmike made the move from TCU to Clemson. With the most anticipated game of the year now upon us, the NDL: Spotlight points it's "Hype Beam" towards Blacksburg, VA. for the Game of the Year.

All eyes will be on this game, as it has major post season implications. Virginia Tech has about a million wins in a row, and Clemson is blessed with one of the most successful coaches in NDL history. Which team will give in to the other's strengths? Which coach can impose their will on the other? With both teams unbeaten in Season 26, we take a closer look at the tale of the tape for this Heavy Weight Championship Fight:
Offense
Points Per Game
Clem- 34.8 Image
VT- 29.8

Total Offense Per Game
Clem- 338.4
VT- 368.8 Image

Rushing Per Game
Clem- 95
VT- 112.2 Image

Passing Per Game
Clem- 243.4
VT- 256.6 Image

Time Of Possesion
Clem- 14:02
VT- 16:09 Image

Defense
Total Defense Per Game
Clem- 335.6
VT- 300.8 Image

Sacks Per Game
Clem- 2.4 Image
VT- 2

Interceptions Per Game
Clem- 1.8
VT- 1.8

Defensive Turnovers
Clem- .6
VT- 2.2 Image

Coach BIGmike Q&A

Q: With an overall record of 320-75 (Not counting this season), you obviously draw a lot of attention throughout the NDL. How do you stay on top, and avoid falling to the upset-minded opponents you face each week?

A: I used to play NCAA Football a lot. I would try to get a game in against someone at least once a day from probably NCAA Football 2004 through NCAA Football 2009. Since then though, I haven't had the time to play as frequently as I once did. At this point my "success" is based mostly off of luck and having played what has mostly been the same game for the past decade or so. I use to be known for being able to make some spectacular plays with my safeties on defense to bail me out of some tough situations, but now I'm relying more on crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. This season alone I think I've played in 3-4 games where I just happened to pick up some dumb luck in the final moments to hang on to the win. It also doesn't help when everyone you play is going to give you their best shot in hopes of pulling off the "upset". My entire game plan has been unchanged since I first started playing in the NDL and so far it has held up relatively well. Don't throw interceptions on offense and try to force at least 1-2 turnovers on defense.

Q: The stage has been set, and you now face off against "The Streak" in VTrun and his powerfull Hokies. Without getting into your X's and O's, what's your basic gameplan on beating #1 Va Tech?

A: We both have very similar play styles, relying on a mistake-free game on offense while waiting for a big play on defense. The key to beating VT, in my mind at least, is to control the ball and force him out of his comfort zone. I'll probably have to hope to God that Andre Ellington actually making it through an entire game and eats up some yards on the ground to keep Logan Thomas off the field. We all know Thomas can't hit the broad side of a barn in real life, but some reason EA made him into a machine in this game. Do I blitz and hope for the added pressure to force him into a bad or read or do I get more men back in coverage and hope we can run with his wide receivers? I'll have to wait and see how the first few drives of the game shake out before committing one way or the other. Either way my defense has been spotty at best this season and we're going to need some type of minor miracle to slow Thomas and the rest of the Hokie offense down. It should be a fun challenge.

Q: You have eerily similar team stats with Va Tech, including Total Offense, Passing Yards, Passing Defense, Sacks per game and INT's per game. What do you think will be the key to a Clemson victory?

A: Pressure. Both of our quarterbacks are studs rating wise and can beat you with either their arms or the legs. Whichever front 7 is able to apply more pressure is going to be the winner of this ball game. I have some monster player from a ratings stand point with the Tigers, but they never seem to live up to expectations. If they don't live up those expectations this week then God help us. This is the game where this team has to live up to their A+ overall rating to pick up the win. Corico Hawkins has almost 90 speed from his MLB position and so far this season has been nothing but a disappointment. I think he only gets his high tackle numbers from jumping on the pile. I beg you virtual Corico Hawkins, come ready to play against the Hokies this week.

Q: A loss by either of you shouldn't drop you very far in the polls. Do you think even with a loss in this game, you could still be in the hunt for the BCS Championship Game?

A: Eh, it's hard to say at this point. Right now all I'm focused on is doing enough to keep the Tigers for the release of NCAA 14. Based on the type of season they are having in real life they might actually earn that A+ rating next year. Another year of Boyd and Watkins would be fun.

Coach VTrun Q&A

Q: VTrun, you have made quite a name for yourself with this win streak you have... Remind everyone in the NDL just how many wins you've tallied without a loss. (Not counting the Cup)

A: This "Streak" has been a helluva ride. I've tried not to go down memory lane too much as I view the most important weeks to play are the ones in front of me each & every week. However as I reflect on the past few seasons, I guess I've strung together some good games. I believe the number is officially to date is "24 consecutive wins" ...This started back in Week 7 at home against Miami during Season 24 after I rebounding from a week 6 loss. Thats how I see the "Streak" as we currently have 12 weeks open to play this season, yet I still haven't played my Week 2 opponent (Georgia Tech), Week 9 opponent (Clemson) & Week 12 (Florida St). Any of those games could end this conversation but if I look at the total wins I have this season without the unplayed games, then my streak would be at 30.

Q: Let's go back to season 10, your first season (on record) in the NDL. You were Head Coach of the Kent State Golden Flashes, and finished that year with a 7-5 record. Tell us a little bit about your journey from that 7-5 season, to Back to Back NDL National Champ.

A: I have some good memories from Season 10! This season & year marked the first time the NDL would begin playing their league games on the PlayStation 3 instead of PlayStation 2. There was a big off season transition with a majority of coaches migrating over, but I was fortunate that not everyone did, leaving an open spot for me to get called up from The Farm. During the draft I remember not caring where I landed as I was just so pumped to be in this league. When it came time to pick, I decided to roll with the Golden Flashes as I felt they had the freshest jerseys of the team's still available. I had heard everyone's first season's were generally rough, so the way I looked at it, if I was going to be taking beatings every week, then I should at least look good while doing it That season I had an amazing time, meeting some great coaches in my conference such as Weasel & UC Weiser. On the field I had Julian Edelman leading my squad from the QB position - he was electric at times then self destructive other times. Moreso the ladder

Q: In looking at how all of these key team stats compare with #3 Clemson and Coach BIGmike, what is the key to a Virginia Tech victory?

A: Turnovers. Simple and plain. In games of this nature against Coaches of BigMike's caliber, it comes down to who makes the least mistakes. We can't control whether not our digital athlete's live up to their ratings, but what we can do is manage them within the flow of the game. This season digital Logan Thomas has looked like Real Life Logan Thomas on multiple occasions, so before the game even starts, I would have to give BigMike the advantage here.

Q: Last question, Will you be broadcasting this epic game?

A: There appears to be a lot of heat around this question as I've been asked by multiple people on different occasions. Given the outpour of interest, I believe I will broadcast if thats what everyone really wants. My set up isn't as sexy as Niddler's or Block M's, but if that doesn't matter to anyone then I can make it work.

Twista's Prediction

This will no doubt be a very close, back and forth game which might resemble more of a chess match than a street fight. Each coach seems to know their teams' strengths, and will look to expose the opposition's weaknesses while protecting their own. There are just so many similarities between the two teams, that it's basically a toss up when trying to pick a winner.

One thing we can look at, though, is common opponents. VTrun and BIGmike have both played Mississippi State (bearass) and Georgia (IceMorbid) this year. Let's look at the results:

Clemson
vs. Miss. St (W) 28-27
vs. Georgia (W) 31-28

Va Tech
vs. Miss. St (W) 40-13
vs. Georgia (L) 29-36

I give Clemson the slight advantage for the wins, however VTrun played both these common opponents in the Cup, which many know doesn't hold as much weight. Clemson's victory over IceMorbid's Georgia Bulldogs also came in the NDL Cup.

So, another thing we can look at to compare these two powers, is margin of victory. Once again, we find that these two teams are fairly even.

Clem- +10.4
VT- +10.28

I've taken a lot of time analizing these two teams, and what I've concluded is that it WILL be the game of the year in Season 26. It WILL live up to the hype, and it WILL come down to the last few minutes of the game. Here is my prediction:
Spoiler!
#3 Clemson- 28
#1 Va Tech- 31

The STREAK remains! Home field proves to be the differnece in this one, as VT is able to drive down and kick the game winner.
I'd love to hear everyone else's prediction for this game as well, so post here and let's discuss the biggest game of the season!
Last edited by Twistanutz22 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reactions:

Re: NDL Spotlight: #3 Clemson @ #1 Va Tech

Post by dealer4014 »

great read and well done!

Prediction
Clemson = 38
Va Tech = 41

Va Tech wins in OT, holds BigMike to a field goal, then scores a TD on their first possesion to win it
UclaMac
Reactions:

Post by UclaMac »

awesome analysis! I think Mike pulls out the upset here. VT is do for a loss and BigMike is just the man to do it. I say 28-24 Clemson gets the upset!
Dcane7
Reactions:

Post by Dcane7 »

I predict VT will be down and the game will disconnect until the team starts playing well :D
Last edited by Dcane7 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shel311
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by shel311 »

Dcane7 wrote:I predict VT will be down and the game will disconnect until th :D e team starts playing well
B+
Twistanutz22
Reactions:

Post by Twistanutz22 »

shel311 wrote:
Dcane7 wrote:I predict VT will be down and the game will disconnect until th :D e team starts playing well
B+
Your sig sucks :lol:
razorback44
Reactions:

Post by razorback44 »

Great read Twist!

I'm going to say that VT wins a close one, 34-31.
AIM: lazydayz446
PSN: lazydayz44

WooPigSooie316
Reactions:

Post by WooPigSooie316 »

I'll take Clemson to cover the spread. There is a spread, right? Right?
DRiccio21
Reactions:

Post by DRiccio21 »

Va Tech -2.5
6ftdeep
Reactions:

Post by 6ftdeep »

I say 20-13 , vt

that vt squad is way overrated..
Twistanutz22
Reactions:

Post by Twistanutz22 »

Updated the original post with a Q&A with VTrun... Sorry it's a little late, but it's better than not having it at all!!
UclaMac
Reactions:

Post by UclaMac »

good game VT had to make a comeback!
VTrunNgun
NDL Championships
NDL Championships
Reactions:

Post by VTrunNgun »

This was an incredible game - http://www.onlinedynasty.net/ndl2.0/game.php?game=12

Sorry per usual on the delayed write up 8-)

Return to “NDL:ESPN”